Chainig the frames

Previous topic - Next topic

covex

I'd like to attach a frame to certain place in other element - e.g. I have a text frame with a text flow, and I'd like the image frame to stay on its place in the text, beneath this paragraph exactly even the formating and amount of text changes. Is something like this possible? I also would like to create e.g. a word or heading with inverted colors. I can only create a frame with inverted color, not a style. If I create a new frame I need it to stay on the possition in the text. Any ideas welcome.

Wena

Text and graphic frames can be locked in place, go to properties and when the frame is highlighted with a red frame go to the lock and that will make it unmovable.

I found that its a good idea to lock everything!

Wena

utnik

@wena: covex is searching for a way to lock an element at the text, not at the page!

@covex: as far as i know, there is no such function implemented in scribus – you could file a feature request at http://bugs.scribus.net.

utnik

a.l.e

for now you can create inline elements.

create your image frame and fill it, copy it, go into edit mode of the text frame, paste.

now the image is treated as a glyph.

warning: in 1.4 you can't edit the picture that you pasted, so keep the original somewhere.

a better way to link elements together is being worked on by cezary and may get into 1.5!

ciao
a.l.e

covex

Thanks ale, I am on 1.4.1, but pasting the copy of image frame into story editor (Edit text) in the frame pastes there XML, that is then displayed as an ordinary text.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><SCRIBUSFRAGMENT>, pasting in edit mode causes the image to be placed in the text, but e.g. text flow around frame is not working anymore, therefore it probably needs some more workarounds.:)
Hope 1.5 will have some kind of "Anchor the frame".

utnik

hi covex

forget the story editor for this – work directly in the text frame!

on my system (mac os 10.6.8 / scribus 1.4.1) i can paste the image frame as mentioned, but i didn't find a way to make the text floating around. some of it is covered by the image...

utnik

a.l.e

in 1.5 there is already an anchor mechanism, but it only works on a frame to frame level.

what is being worked on right now, are footnotes... once they're stable, i guess it won't be that hard to enhance their mechanism to have generic glyph to frame anchoring.

@utnik: you will probably have to play with the line height...

and as already wrote: the frame is inserted as if it was a glyph, so no flowing around!