Layers: Master Page vis-a-vis Page

Previous topic - Next topic

jlpoole

I am having a problem with getting page numbers and running heads and footers to appear over images on pages.

I have five layers in my document:

• D topmost
  • C
  • B - images
  • A - background

With "A-background" being at the bottom and "D topmost" being at the top.

In a Master Page "SubsequentPageLeft" and "SubsequentPageRight", I create a Page Number box and some headers and footers and place them within the topmost layer D as I want the page number and the header to always appears.

On page 29 within the document which has as a layout "SubsequentPageRight" assigned to it, I import an image into layer B; actually page 28 and 29 each have their own image. The image is a black & white TIFF 256 grayscale with a white background and black/grey symbols (music).  The image is about 80% of the page size and has to be placed in a particular location.  Often the image overlaps the area where the page number and header/footer are.

What happens on page 29 is the image appears to mask the page number, "29", and header/footers when despite the fact that it is on the lower layer B.  It's as if the "D topmost" Layer in the Master Page is below the "B - image" layer in the document.  Page 28 properly displays only because the imported image does not overlap the areas where the page number and footers are.

Is this a design bug, or is there some switch I'm missing.

What should happen is that the page number and header/footers should appear over the image and always display.
I've attached an example.  Notice at red circle #1 on page 28, the page number comes through, but at red circle #2 on page 29, the image is masking the page number.  The page number is on a master page on the top most layer.  The same problem is demonstrated between #3 (cut off) vs. #4 displaying.

[attachment deleted by admin]
John L. Poole

work: Principal Software Engineer, Oracle Corporation
play: Editions Poole - publisher of classical ensemble piano music (using InDesign & scripts thereunder)

jlpoole

I should note, that when I export the problem page 29 using the PDF icon within Scribus, the layering is just as it appears within Scribus - the imported image cuts off the page number and footer.  I was hoping maybe something might be different on export that causes the correct layering.
John L. Poole

play: Editions Poole - publisher of classical ensemble piano music (using InDesign & scripts thereunder)

Nermander

As far as I understand it layers on a Master Page are always "behind" layers on regular pages. That is the current design of Scribus, Master Pages are "bakground", but I think there are requests to change it.

jlpoole

Thank you.

What form are the requests in?  Bug Enhancements?  Postings to the dev mailing list?  If in the Bug database, I'll identify them here for posterity.
John L. Poole

Nermander

I know it has been discussed on the mailing list, but I'm not sure if a feature request has been written.

jlpoole

As far as I know, there is no search facility for the mailing list other than looking at each month's worth of posting offered through the archive url at http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus-dev/.  Is this correct?

I've been looking into building and assembling a one-stop search page, but I thought I'd check with you before I do so since you seem experienced and have credentials suggesting a good familiarity with the development program.
John L. Poole

Nermander

Sorry, I was unclear, I didn't mean the dev list but the users list.

jlpoole

I tried a test using the high watermark of the development trunk (Linux), SVN 1.5, and it appears that layers from the master do interact with the page, so what I was trying to accomplish appears to work in this latest version.
John L. Poole

a.l.e

i can confirm that it is certainly already implemented!

but it may only be in 1.5svn.

no need for a feature request... (and it won't be backported to 1.4, because it's not trivial to do so, in this case)

ciao
a.l.e