Auto fit text frame

Previous topic - Next topic

LeHibou

Hi,

I would to know how to "auto fit" text layer to their content, so that the distribute functions are made easier.

There is nothing much annoying than correcting different spaces in each frame after the last letter and making it by hand is not an option for large projects.

We want the layout to be perfectly fitted.

Could you please tell me what option I am missing ?

Thanks,

LeHibou

a.l.e

hi lehibou,

there is no "auto fit" function in scribus.

there are some scripts in the wiki that go in this direction:
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Adjust_a_text_frame_to_fit_its_content
you can try them out: maybe the fit your needs or you can adapt one of them for you.

btw, you're request is an indicator of the reason why scribus does not  have an auto fit function: it's not clear how each person wants the auto fit function to work...

there are big question opens and what we most need is, that somebody goes through the whole feature and specifies how it should work in each possible case (horizontal, vertical fit; behavior with linked texts, ...)
your -- and other's people -- work is very welcome!
but we don't want to just add a half baked solution...

finally, there are ways to make it easier to place your text in scribus, but without knowing what your needs are, it's hard to give you further hints.

ciao
a.l.e

LeHibou

a.l.e,

I understand very well the statement, which is, let's say it, smart.

And I want to help to check this out. So I will take that in charge : I will open a thread for that purpose and, hopely, you will find a final answer to our needs.

May I start this thread on this forum or is there any best suited place for this ?

Thanks,

LeHibou

a.l.e

salut lehibou,

i've created a "features" board in the "development" category: feel free to open a new thread in there!

it's the first time we try it in the forums, let's see if it's a good way to do it!

have fun
a.l.e

a.l.e

just tried out cezary's code for footnotes in scribus... and most of the work for auto-resizing seems to be done :-)

... we have auto-growing text frames...