How do I preview a new style?

Previous topic - Next topic

litlfrog

Looks like I have lots of choices to customize a style in the Style Manager, but how do I know what I'm choosing? Past versions of Scribus seemed to have a checkbox in the Style Manager to preview the style you're working on. Does anything like that still exist? Thanks.

litlfrog

Bump. This must have come up before, especially because it's an ability that the program USED to have. Am I in the wrong window or something? If I'm creating a new style--changing fonts, sizes, leading, etc.--doesn't it make sense that I'd want to see what the change would look like?

Christen_Anderson

Hi Litlfrog,

If you don't get an answer here, try asking on the Scribus mailing list: scribus@lists.scribus.net. It seems to be a bit more active than the forum.

Cheers,
Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

a.l.e

i think to recall that there was such a preview, yes...

it has probably be removed because it was not reliable...

imo, the better solution is to implement "create/update a style based on selection" from the canvas, then to add a preview in the style manager...

ciao
a.l.e

litlfrog

*sigh* OK, I guess it's just trial and error then. This is for a work project, and the boss isn't going to spring for a copy of InDesign anytime soon. I just wish there were a better way to handle adjustments to text styles.

a.l.e

litlfrog,

i agree that it's not a good situation... scribus has been created by pre-press people who are used to work with a style guide and know by heart what setting has which effects.

personally, when i'm in your case, what i do is to format a bunch of text in a frame and then write down (or make a screenshot) of all the settings and then retype them as a style.

a little better than just try and error...

... and yes -- again -- create / update style from selection would be so helpful here :-)