Text frames with an X -- page numbers not appearing

Previous topic - Next topic

ginkgo100

First, thanks to forum members who have helped me with some of my basic questions. Now I have another.

I have page numbers set up using Master Pages broken into sections, as described in the Scribus Manual.  But the page numbers of my document are not appearing on some of the pages of the main section.  I double-checked that the sections are defined correctly.  On the pages where the page numbers are not appearing, the frame for the page numbers is there, but it is empty, and there is a little box with an X in it attached to the frame.  (I also have a couple of regular text frames, not on a Master Page, with the same little box attached, but the text shows up normally in those.)  I've attached an image to illustrate what I'm talking about.  There are two figures, each from consecutive left pages.  Page 18 (Figure 1) has a normal page number; page 20 (Figure 2) does not, and has that mysterious little X-box attached to the frame where it belongs.  Can anybody help?

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi ginkgo

this box indicates a text overflow – increase the width of the field a little bit and the page number should appear (if i'm right...)

utnik

ginkgo100

Well, that was a simple solution.  ;D Thanks for your help; I knew it had to be something basic like that.  The normal text boxes with the little X turned out to have extra paragraphs (empty carriage returns) causing a technical text overflow without any actual text missing.  Y'all are a helpful crew (and yes, I'm from Texas).

don duck

You  can  increase  the  text  box  however  the  real  issue  is  the  default  paragraph  style.  If  you  have  an  indent  in  your  default  paragraph  style  then  you  will  have  to  make  text  box  big  enough  to  account  for  the  indent  and  page  number.  A  better  way  is  to  make  a  new  paragraph  style  with  no  indent  and  apply  it  to  the  page  no.  text  box.

utnik

hi don duck

in this case the problem was the width of the text box. with proportional fonts '20' needs more space than the lower numbers!
...and ginkgo100 solved his problem four years ago...

utnik