Changing Text

Previous topic - Next topic

jsypolt

I'm new to Scribus and would like to use it to make a business card and can't seem to edit any text.

I go to File -> New from template -> Business Cards -> Business Card Collection and a page of several business cards comes up.
At first I can only select an entire card and not any elements (frames?) on the card such as the text. If I ungroup then I can select the pieces of text. But the Edit Contents of Frame icon is always disabled. And nothing seems to be locked when I check the properies.

If I use the Business_Card_1 template and not the collection, I can edit text just by double clicking on it without having to do anything else as soon as the template opens. But the template that I like is in the collection. Is there something that I'm missing? I'm using 1.4.0rc3 on Ubuntu 11.10.

Jason

utnik

hi jason

this business card collection (technically spoken) does not contain any text!
all the text elements are converted to paths – you can see this, when you ungroup one more level!
you can't edit this text. you have to replace it!
my advice is to use this collection only as a source of inspiration anyway...

utnik

Nermander

An I guess the reason is that otherwise they would not look very nice if the user does not have the right fonts installed.

jsypolt

Thanks! That helped a lot. It was actually really easy to make my own template. I just started from the Business_Card_1 template and cleared just about everything out then added what I wanted. Is it possible to set up the document to print something like 10 cards (or however many will fit) per page instead of just one? How would I do that?

Jason

Nermander

There are at least two ways:

1. Use some kind of imposition solution to impose the PDF n-up (Multivalent can do it).

2. Use the Multiple duplicate function in Scribus (you might have to import the card to a full page document, if the current document size is the size of a card).

I have used both and prefer the first one because it can be repeated easily (command line history or a script/BAT file).

captain goffy

I'm new to Scribus -and new to Mac computers ..... I have used Serif for years and Windows. The ease of importing and re-sizing text and images in Serif was a real plus. Scribus looks like it should do everything my old  Serif programme did but I am still learning. Discovered how to resize an image within a frame..nice helpful post on this site did that...but now to text.

I don't seem to be able to type text into the text frame, and then re-size it to suit my layout without laboriously going back in and changing the font size. Am I missing a trick ? The "fit image to frame" doesn't seem to apply to text....and nor does the right-click allow much in the way of applying effects to text.....but as a beginner I could be missing lots of tricks here...........any help gratefully received.

Nermander

You have to change the size of the text "manually". I thin it is quite easy using the properties palette and scrolling the mouse wheel over the property you want to change.

Scribus does not (yet) include features to fit text to a frame.