How do you set up GhostScript

Previous topic - Next topic

firered8

I'm very embarrassed to say this: but i don't know how to set up GhostScript. I downloaded GhostScript and im using Scribus 1.4.0 What do i do next. Can someone help me please

Meho R.

I suppose you're using Windows, so, basically, all you have to do is to install GhostScript (GS), then tell Scribus where to look for it (in case Scribus didn't find the location itself). After downloading and installing GS, open Scribus and take a look at: "File > Preferences > External Tools", then in the field under "PostScript Interpreter" navigate to GS .exe file using "Change" button.

More infos in wiki and this thread.

Wena

Meho R. what dose GhostScript do, I have been asking that question for a long time???

Wena

firered8

Meho R.

Quote from: Wena on February 21, 2012, 10:55:51 PM
Meho R. what dose GhostScript do, I have been asking that question for a long time???

Wena

As far as Scribus is concerned, two things:
1. Print Preview,
2. Rasterisation of EPS images.

GS in general: an interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF. It can be used to convert .ps and .pdf files to several other formats, but for some other functions too (e.g., to remove owner password from a locked PDF file).

You can find more infos (apart from GS homepage), e.g., here, here or here.

a.l.e

just one more thing:
for most people the print preview is not really useful and they should use the on canvas preview (there is a button for it on the lower right corner).

if you don't plan to use eps or ps files (and you probably won't), you can probably safely ignore the warning about the missing ghostscript!

sadly, this is currently one of the worst (basic) UX issues in scribus: too many people (on mac and windows) are greeted (and scared away) by the "missing ghostscript" dialog, and most of them would never ever need ghostscript...

ciao
a.l.e

Nermander

Yes, it would probably be better if that message popped up only when the user tried to do something that involves ghostscript.