Text upload and auto update

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhat81

Hi,
I'd like to create a text box, set up the path of a text file and upload the text... then each time I modify the file I'd like to see the current version of the file into the text box.

This will be useful for my jobs... it would save time for change the style each time I upload a file.

Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thank you in advance.

a.l.e

no, it's not possible.

the biggest issue here is that it's hard (or impossible) to synchronize the formatting between the scribus frame and the editor you're using.

as an example: if you have changed the letter spacing to better fit one specific line, what should happen to that formatting when it's synchronized back from your editor?

i think that we will have to improve in the future how external text is handled, but it won't be something easy to implement!

have a nice day!
a.l.e

blackhat81

Thank you for the feedback a.l.e!

I think that the difficoulty to synchronize the formatting between the scribus frame and the editor could be a limit but a possible solution should be to let handle all the formatting only by setting the scribus styles: in this way the editor could only handle the flow of text without format.

But I'm not a Scribus developer... I don't know if it shoul be possible... it's is only a suggestion.

Scribus is the best desktop publishing ever!
Regards,
Blackhat81

Nermander

And how should Scribus know what styles to apply to what part of the text? It could only work if all text in the frame used the same style.

a.l.e

hi blackhat81,

from the programming point of view the task not that difficult, but the problem is how to ensure that no formatting gets lost in the conversion and that no bad things can happen to the layouted text.

i hope that we will have better ideas after attending a short week of http://lgru.net/archives/276

ciao
a.l.e

FullOfCaffeine

Quote from: blackhat81 on February 10, 2012, 11:17:58 AM
Hi,
I'd like to create a text box, set up the path of a text file and upload the text... then each time I modify the file I'd like to see the current version of the file into the text box.

This will be useful for my jobs... it would save time for change the style each time I upload a file.

Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thank you in advance.

I second that. I've also been looking for such a feature.

Scribus allows me to quickly design and produce beautiful publications fast and relatively easily. However, I do miss a plaintext version of the project.