Help- Trouble with pages

Previous topic - Next topic

pawelisio

Hello
I have just recently started using scribus for a school project. I was supposed to make a booklet. My print shop said that in order to print it right i have to make it in the a3 format. I didn't know that and made it in a4. Is there any way to make two a4 pages into 1 a3 page?? Please help!

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: pawelisio on February 07, 2012, 04:49:56 PMI have just recently started using Scribus for a school project. I was supposed to make a booklet. My print shop said that in order to print it right i have to make it in the a3 format. I didn't know that and made it in a4. Is there any way to make two a4 pages into 1 a3 page?

Easy!

Using the mouse drag to select everything on a page, then drag to the Scrapbook (or copy and paste to the Scrapbook). Repeat for all the pages. Then create a new A3 document and set it up with margins and/or guides to match the way the pages need to appear. Think ahead about how the booklet will be folded so you will understand which half of the A3 pages will pertain to which actual page. Now, drag each page from the Scrapbook and place in the proper place on the A3 pages. If you have text in frames that are linked you may have to re-link the frames because placing them into the Scrapbook may unlink them.

Another option is to export your A4 pages to PDF, then use pdftools or other program to assemble them into an A3 document. That is just as easy, but much harder to learn how to do if you have never done it before.

An additional comment: When you ask a question here it is wise to mention which version of Scribus you are using and which operating system you have because sometimes the answer is different.

Welcome to Scribus. I hope you learn to love it as I do!
Linguistics on Linux!

Nermander

What you are looking for is called imposition and mostly the print shop will take care of it because correct imposition often requires knowledge of the how the printer works.

There are a lot of different tools suggested in the Scribus wiki (wiki.scribus.net) for doing impositions, but the important thing is to know in what order the pages should be, how they shall be placed onto the sheet and in what direction the printer turns the paper for double sided printing (turn or tumble). Without knowing that you might get half of the pages upside down.

So you should ask for a more detailed explanation from the print shop.

pawelisio

Yes i know the requirements of the printer and in the order of the pages. Your answers were a huge help. Thanks a lot!