Going backwards in the functionality of Scribus. Seriously???

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandeboys

Thanks for telling me that I can 'just use the main menu "edit > styles".  I never thought of that!  Yes I have found that just formatting the text in the frame and using properties works really well.  Scribus does remember all the changes very well.
Stupid question here.  What's wysiwig?

Quote from: a.l.e on January 27, 2012, 09:13:05 AM
you can still access the style editing when in the story editor!

just use the main menu "edit >  styles"!
it's *always* available!

but, basically, for most types of work you should be able to type, edit and format your text in the frame itself. there are much more features in the the text tab of the properties palette than you have ever dreamed off while working in the story editor!
and it's wysiwig!

the story editor was (and is) there to compensate for scribus slowness and was not meant as the main tool to work in scribus. today, scribus is much faster and most people shouldn't really need it any more.

also, you still can get the old stable from scribus official download page
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download (you just have to click on the big "download" link on scribus main page!)
no need to call somebody in arkansas for it!

concerning the colors: you can always choose to show bigger palettes palttes... but, as you can guess from nermander words, most people working with scribus can't choose the color they're using, since they're defined by their client!
the old default list was very disturbing for them.

all in all: glad that you like scribus 1.3.3.14. nobody, will forbid you, to use it forever... you can even clone the repository and start your own program based on it! all for free!

next time, just ask the right guys, and forget about your friend in arkansas!

scribus will have to further improve, no doubt!  but i don't think that you've spot the real problems in scribus...

ciao
a.l.e

Christen_Anderson

Quote from: Grandeboys on March 07, 2012, 08:04:29 PM
Thanks for telling me that I can 'just use the main menu "edit > styles".  I never thought of that!  Yes I have found that just formatting the text in the frame and using properties works really well.  Scribus does remember all the changes very well.

WYSIWYG = "What You See Is What You Get," as opposed to YAFIYGI = "You Asked For It You Got It."
Basically, in this case, WYSIWYG means that when you change the formatting of text, for example, you will see the results immediately. -- Unlike HTML, for example, where you format in plain text, then see the results later in a web browser.

~Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

Grandeboys

Ahh. . . another acronym!  I'm getting a headache.  Just kidding.  Thanks for telling :)

Quote from: Christen_Anderson on March 07, 2012, 08:26:17 PM
Quote from: Grandeboys on March 07, 2012, 08:04:29 PM
Thanks for telling me that I can 'just use the main menu "edit > styles".  I never thought of the frame and using properties works really well.  Scribus does remember all the changes very well.

WYSIWYG = "What You See Is What You Get," as opposed to YAFIYGI = "You Asked For It You Got It."
Basically, in this case, WYSIWYG means that when you change the formatting of text, for example, you will see the results immediately. -- Unlike HTML, for example, where you format in plain text, then see the results later in a web browser.

~Christen