Scribus or Tex for my project?

Previous topic - Next topic

Christen_Anderson

Hey all,
Running Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit. (Please don't assume that because I use Windows I know nothing about computers.  ;) )
I'm designing a cookbook for a school project. It has text and graphics, probably in between 50-100 pages long. (It's hard to say much about the layout at this point....I haven't actually started any of the design). My question is, would it be better to use Scribus or Tex? Or would it be better to do the typesetting in Tex and then import into Scribus via render frames? Bear in mind that I know basically nothing about Tex. I understand the basic concept, but have never really used it for anything. Would it be worth to try and learn it within the next couple weeks or so, or would it be better for me to stick with Scribus?
Thanks,
Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

Nermander

I think using only Scribus is best for such a project.

a.l.e

it depends...

you will probably want to use scribus... but -- if you're book will have a very rigid structure -- *tex may also be a good fit.

it depends also on how much time you want to spend in learning *tex (or already know advanced enough advanced *tex to place the pictures the way you want!)

ciao
a.l.e

Nermander

For a cookbook you probably want to lay pages out page by page, maybe want to put in "boxes" with facts or hints etc. That's not easy to do in *TeX.

Meho R.

I'm using *TeX on daily basis and I agree with Nermander and a.l.e, for a cookbook, you probably do not need the power of *TeX, but rather want to have complete freedom in moving elements around, for which task Scribus is better suited.

As for learning *TeX, if you're planning to do typesetting often and want only the highest quality typography-side, it's definitely a wise decision. It's not an easy task at the beginning, but it will pay off. And it's fun ;-)

Christen_Anderson

Thanks for all the responses!!! I'll stick with Scribus for this project, but I am planning on learning Tex sometime in the near future.  :D
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/