Format one word on a line different from the others

Previous topic - Next topic

godese

Hi scribus users.
I have created a textbox and a handful of textformats for paragraphs. I have also created a format for characters that I want to be italic - it seems that that is the way to have a special format one word on a line. But I can not see how to use it. How would you empathize a single word on a line?

a.l.e

- double click on the text frame to enter the edit mode
- select the text you want to format
- window > properties palette (or F2 or F5)
- look for the text tab and apply the character style

ciao
a.l.e

godese

Thank you for your instruction. However it works strange in my document. If I double click on the text and highlight a word it is displayed above the line and after formatting it it still is displayed above the line. Then I created a new document to try it again, this time it worked fine. Any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

CGood

Character styles Baseline Offset might do what you see. Notice that in the Style Manager, under Advanced Formatting, there are three boxes. The furthest to the right is Baseline Offset.

When I change that setting upwards,  and here I set it to 66,  selected text will be moved up from the normal text baseline, much as you see in your example. I don't know if you might have unintentionally set Baseline Offset, or if you have a bug or glitch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

godese

It was not a character style Baseline Offset which I do no use in this document, and now the problem is gone. When I clicked or double clicked on a word the cursor or the highlight area were placed above the text, and after reformatting to italic the word was placed above the line too.
I have no idea why and no idea why it stopped that behavior. But thank you for looking at it.

GarryP

TIP: You can also set the baseline offset in PP/Text/Advanced Settings.

This could have been overridden by reformatting the text in some way. Maybe that was what the problem was or maybe it was just one of those weird things that pops up from time to time. Either way, as long as the problem seems to be fixed and doesn't come back then that's good.

godese

I think you are right about "just one of those weird things that pops up from time to time"