HELP - Scientific Article - suggestion

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenz77

Hi,
I am a new Scribus user. I created a scientific article with images, tables and illustrations. The article can be downloaded from a website.
Some question:

Since I have many pictures, I decided to not embed fonts: I used Arial, so I think there will not be problem. Correct? Arial font is present in all (99%) of the computers: anyone will view the document as a set?

This is the first time I create a document with Scribus. Did I made ​​mistakes in the layout? In the use of fonts? Are columns spaced properly?

Where can I find tips, guides to create a document correctly?

Thank You

Lorenz

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi lorenz

in general, it looks ok, but:
QuoteDid I made ​​mistakes in the layout? In the use of fonts? Are columns spaced properly?
why did you often switch between two and three columns and between left aligned and justified text? this and the justified text blocks without hyphenation makes the layout look unpleasant (some of the white spaces are larger than the gap between columns...)

QuoteSince I have many pictures, I decided to not embed fonts...
i don't know, what pictures have to do with embedding (or not embedding) fonts.

QuoteWhere can I find tips, guides to create a document correctly?
...take a look at books, magazines, flyers, read some books about print layout and typography or ask google...

utnik

lorenz77

Hi  utnik,

Thanks for your comments, you have identified many of the elements that leave me some concern.

I used left alignement in bullet point. I'm not sure, maybe it's better justifiy also for bullet point?

If i embed fonts, the size of the PDF 1 MB. 500 kb without embedded fonts. Using Arial That i believe every one will view the article Correctly. It's true?

Thanks

Lorenz

Wena

Well done lorenz77, I think your paper is set out well. The photos are great too. If this is your first use of Scriburs how well can you get.

There is obviously a lot of fore thought gone it.

Good work.

Wena

lorenz77

Thank you Wenna!

My principal concerns is about embedding font (is it necessary using Arial font?) and bullet point allignement. I also has some doubt on page margins and column margin.

Bye

Lorenz

a.l.e

- always embed the fonts! :-)

- and, yes you should hyphenate!

- don't use the 'x' for multiplication... there is a specific char for it...

- PDGF­ß ... shouldn't it be a beta? isn't it a a "german" SZ? ... just pick a beta in insert > glyph

- don't use dots in the TOC (indice).

- use only one font size for the titles... or make it clearer that you have several levels of titles (by numbering them)

- probably better to justify also the lists

- there are ways to make the file smaller at the end by using ghostscript... more later :-)

but all in all: complimenti, ottimo lavoro!

ciao
a.l.e

Nermander

You could also try to google for tutorials on typography and layout, there's a lot out there.

lorenz77

Dear A.L.E.

Thanks for your advices, very very useful and understandable. Some observation:

1. Why embed fonts, if arial font is in all computers?
2. Hypanete. I looked many other scientific articles and they don't use hyphenate, maybe for complex scientific words.
3. How to use Ghostscripts to reduce file size?
4. Where can i find advanced and basic tutorials on typograpy and page layout? Would you suggest some good sites?

Lorenz

Meho R.

Quote from: lorenz77 on January 27, 2012, 04:06:12 PM

[...]

1. Why embed fonts, if arial font is in all computers?

Because Arial isn't installed on all computers. I can't say anything for Mac, but on Linux it's rarely installed by default. Embedding or subsetting fonts is highly recommended in all cases. Avoiding any of the two will sooner or later lead to problems, both on-screen and in print.

2. Hypanete. I looked many other scientific articles and they don't use hyphenate, maybe for complex scientific words.

Hyphenation prevents bad spacing (if space between words comes close or equal spacing between lines, not to mention if it exceeds it, then you're seriously doing it wrong and there is no science which can justify that). The rule of thumb is: if your text alignment is "justified", you really should hyphenate. If you don't want hyphenation, then use "Left" (a.k.a. "Ragged Right") alignment.

4. Where can i find advanced and basic tutorials on typograpy and page layout? Would you suggest some good sites?

I'll mention only one and definitely one of the best sources of information about good typography: it's Robert Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographic Style.