But on PDF it looks like this:

PAGE 1          PAGE 2
                            PAGE 3          PAGE 4
                            PAGE 5           .......

What am I doing wrong?

utnik

TeamTTL

Hi Utnik,

What are 'reader settings' and where are they?

Thnkx

TeamTTL

Utnik,

If you mean Adobe Reader settings, have tried all the settings and they do not change a thing.

The pages of the document are coloured for children and the pdf needs to preserve the way the document looks with Scribus. For example,

Page1 is navy
                                              Page2 is green          Page3 is green
                                              Page4 is orange        Page5 is orange
                                              Page6 is cyan            Page7 is cyan
                                              Page8 is orange        Page9 is orange
                                              etc etc

TeamTTL

I can fix the problem by using PDF Writer and adding a new page before the first page of the exported pdf document. But, that's not the issue. Either I and other people who have posted about this phenomenon are missing something about Scribus to pdf export settings or there is a bug somewhere. Either way, it would be nice to get help!

utnik

when i export a .pdf with 'facing page right' checked in the 'viewer' tab of the export window, at least my copy of adobe reader shows the file starting with a single page and then in double pages.
but some readers may overwrite the settings of the file. (even adobe reader might be set up to overwrite them – i didn't try...)

utnik

TeamTTL

I don't have the option 'facing page right' with Scribus 1.4.8.
There are:
single
continuous
double page left
double page right

I tried a dozen times for a draft (not final copy unfortunately): I do not know why but one of them came out correctly as 'facing page right' and the reader does not change it on two computers. Why? Does it make a difference which pdf version option is chosen perhaps?

utnik

'double page right' with scribus 1.4.8 works for me.
if it doesn't for you, i would check the settings in your .pdf reader.

utnik

TeamTTL

The solution that worked for us for the recent stable version of Scribus: we asked how to somehow bypass pdf reader settings?

(Utnik, you are using the developer version, so it may not be a problem for you; but I've read posts where people have had this issue with exporting.)

This question seemed to be the reasonable step to take, since our trial exports showed to us conclusively that how the resulting pdf turns out is independent of the pdf viewer settings.

So, this is what we did:
Go to the Export window. Change the Compatibility options in the General tab to PDF 1.4 (Acrobat5).
Then head to the Viewer tab. Change Document Layout options to Double Page Right (or Facing Page Right, if you are using the Developer version of Scribus).
Then change the Visual Appearance options (same tab) to Use Full Screen Mode. This last step is to ensure that the pdf viewer will be forced not to override our settings.
And it worked!

xenon

Hi TeamTTL,

Don't know if I'm missing the point here, but in Adobe Reader, if you go to "View" -> "Page Display", there should be an option to "Show cover page in Two Page View". I think that is, what other people referred to as "reader settings".

Forcing EVERY pdf reader to display the pdf this way from the beginning is not the job of a software with pdf export, as far as I'm aware.
Still, if your solution is working, I'm happy for you.

Have a nice day!

TeamTTL

You may be missing the point, but that's ok because anyone who has had this problem will know.

To repeat my previous post, what happens is that your Scribus 1.4.8 designed document pages look like this:

PAGE 1
                            PAGE 2           PAGE 3
                            PAGE 4           .......

But after exporting to PDF, the document looks like this:

PAGE 1          PAGE 2
                            PAGE 3          PAGE 4
                            PAGE 5           .......

This outcome is especially annoying when the pages are colour coordinated. And, it won't matter whether you choose 'single' or 'double' page view for pdf viewer - your document will not start with a single page and continue with double pages, as was in Scribus 1.4.8!

Did you follow my instructions and test what happens? No?

What happens if you follow my instructions is this: the document layout is preserved. And the PDF Viewer prompts your PC to ask whether you want to switch to FULL Page View. You just say "No" and then proceed as normal.

PS You may not be experiencing this issue we've had, if you are using version 1.5.5 like Utnik. And, I hope this is helpful for anyone who's had this problem - if you haven't, that's great, too. But, if it's a bug, hope someone checks that its' fixed - rather than dismissing it.

xenon

Hi again,

as I was having a similar page setup (displaying a map on pages 2&3), I actually did follow your instructions.
For me, it came down to being prompted when opening the PDF vs. choosing the setting in Acrobat Reader.
I, personally, prefer setting the given option in the reader, which is why I offered it as a possible solution, being ignorant about the fact, that apparently this does not work in your case.

You probably put a lot more time and effort into the solution of this than me and by following your settings I was able to get more knowledge about exporting pdfs, so I'm thankful for that.

Bye,
xe

a.l.e

hi teamttl

for what i know this is a limitation in the pdf viewers and/or the pdf standard.
and there is not much that scribus can do.

if you have evidence that it's not the case, please provide us with a reference to the pdf standard where it says which setting needs to be set by scribus to let the viewers show the pdf in the way you expect.
the pdf standard is available online for download:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

have a wonderful day
a.l.e

Nermander

Quote from: TeamTTL on July 07, 2020, 07:15:40 PM
But after exporting to PDF, the document looks like this:

PAGE 1          PAGE 2
                            PAGE 3          PAGE 4
                            PAGE 5           .......

No.

The PDF actually looks like this:
PAGE 1
PAGE 2
PAGE 3
PAGE 4
PAGE 5

How those pages are displayed are up to the PDF viewer.

The PDF can suggest a way to display it, but user settings in the PDF viewer can almost always override this (because that is kind of the point with having those settings in the PDF viewer).

TeamTTL

Thank you for your message!

The answer is: Yes and No and Yes!

Our exported document in pdf format looked like this in SINGLE PAGE VIEW of the adobe settings:
PAGE 1
PAGE 2
PAGE 3
PAGE 4
PAGE 5

But in the DOUBLE PAGE VIEW of the adobe settings, the same pdf document looked like this:
                            PAGE 1          PAGE 2
                            PAGE 3          PAGE 4
                            PAGE 5           .......

We wanted it to look like this in DOUBLE PAGE VIEW of the adobe settings:
                                                  PAGE 1
                            PAGE 2           PAGE 3
                            PAGE 4           .......

PS. Don't know the cause, have kept the several copies of exported pdf which did it. But thankfully the current export looks fine and it is here now:

https://talktogetherlondon.org/products/skoorys-careers-workbook-1

In sum: Scribus is a great resource when one gets the hang of it as it were. When it doesn't seem to function as it is supposed to though, may be nerve-racking for non-programmer folk. (Downloaded version 1.5.5 and it changed how the paragraph styles were displayed with version 1.4.8 for example - which meant we couldn't use it for a document formatted with 1.4.8: again, we don't know why etc etc.)