powerpoint presentation with an interactive note field

Previous topic - Next topic

thierry

Good evening

I have a Powerpoint presentation that I use for my lecture. I would like to produce a pdf file for my student such as in each page I have one slide (half page) and a note field (second half of the page) that can be annoted by the student using his computer during the lecture.
I wonder if it is possible to use Scribus to produce this type of document

Thank you

Thierry

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: thierry on January 16, 2012, 07:59:01 PMI have a Powerpoint presentation that I use for my lecture. I would like to produce a pdf file for my student such as in each page I have one slide (half page) and a note field (second half of the page) that can be annotated by the student using his computer during the lecture. I wonder if it is possible to use Scribus to produce this type of document.

Yes, you can do this in Scribus.

For the bottom half of the page what you want is a PDF editable text box. Scribus has numerous PDF form objects that can be placed on the page, so experiment with all of them to learn the range of possibilities. It may be that there are other form objects that would work better than, or in addition to a text box.

For the top half of the page you can just create the slide using the native text and graphics abilities of Scribus. You'd probably want to create the slide show first, then duplicate the file and change the page size to make it big enough for the editable stuff on the bottom, add the editable form controls, and save as a PDF for the students.

I once created an entire take-home midterm exam using an editable PDF. I had checkboxes and radio buttons for multiple choice questions, drop-down boxes for questions with many possible answers, plus text boxes for fill-in and short answer questions. The students could fill it out, print to a new file and e-mail it back to me. No paper, no trips to the university to hand it in. For grading I had a document open in OOo Writer where I wrote my comments and grades. I did a Save As for each student, then e-mailed them back the comment/grade sheet. For a small class it would be a lot of work, but the class I was teaching had over 80 students, so I saved more time than it cost to prepare the exam this way. Plus, I didn't have papers flying all over my office. I could even look at the time stamp on the students' e-mails to make sure they made the deadline.
Linguistics on Linux!

Nermander

But, as far as I know, such a form can not be saved as a PDF (because it requires a license from Adobe to create  a PDF Form that can be saved). It can only be "printed" (but can of course be printed to a PDF writer).