PDF size vs Indesign (no images)

Previous topic - Next topic

Geordie111

Hello all,

I've searched this forum for an answer to my problem, but not found anything specific. I switched to Scribus recently for some small work.

I have a 2-page resume file in Scribus, NO images of any kind, just text and a few horizontal lines. There are no layers or anything fancy, just text slapped on the page.

I have tried many methods to output to PDF but the file size repeatedly comes back at approximately 1.2mb which is too large for a resume when it comes to the applying for positions. The same file when saved with inDesign only produces a PDF of 240kb

Fonts used: Helvetica Narrow (TTF), Utopia Regular & Bold (OTF)

Is there any method I am missing to reduce the Scribus PDF size? I really want to use Scribus and end my Adobe subscription (way too expensive when your unemployed).

utnik

hi geordie

did you embed, subset or outline your fonts?

utnik

Geordie111

Hello utnik,

I think I have found the solution. I simply checked the "Compress text and vector graphics" box when exporting. this brought the file size down to 124kb and it is still relatively good quality, which was, of course a concern.

But prior to that, it was just simple text, no subsets and no embedding.

Thank you for your reply

utnik

hi geordie

Quote from: Geordie111 on February 17, 2020, 11:54:33 AM...I simply checked the "Compress text and vector graphics" box when exporting. this brought the file size down to 124kb and it is still relatively good quality...

what do you mean by that? it should be exactly the same quality – or where are the glitches?

Quote...But prior to that, it was just simple text, no subsets and no embedding.

well, i think the fonts have been embedded (at least as subsets). just check wit acrobat reader!

utnik