River (of white), a diagonal gap between multiple lines) in text box?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

Hello,

I have text placed inside a text box which is a shape transformed into a text box.

A diagonal blank line appears in the middle of the text (see attachment).

I have tried copying the text from notepad and wordpad, and clearing formatting, but to no avail.

Also, it only does this on some shapes, but not on others.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas on how to get rid of this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi stranger

this looks really weird.
did you ever check the nodes and control points of your text frames? ('properties' → 'shape' → 'edit') – an errant control point could cause your white rivers...

utnik

Stranger

Thanks Utnik, but no, that doesn't seem to be it.

I should add perhaps that the 'shape' I'm using it a font converted into a text box.

I think it has something to do with a sort of left-over design process, when the font shape was drawn up and designed.

utnik

hi stranger

could you show me an .sla file with such a text box? (empty or filled with sample text...) – i would like to have a close look at the problem.

utnik

Stranger

Hi Utnik,

That would be incredibly appreciated!

To recap: this is a font changed to a text box.

The font is a Geez letter (Amharic, from Ethiopia), in this case A0 Tesfa Unicode.

utnik

hi stranger

i did some tests with your file and found weird artefacts. (the screenshot shows one of the shapes after splitting the polygons...)
first i tried to fix your text frame with scribus' own tools, then i went over to 'inkscape' and reimported the shape as a correct .svg file in scribus. i even created new complex shapes (with 'holes' in them) from scratch in scribus and in inkscape. but all of them had the issue – finally i filed a bug report...

utnik

Stranger

Thanks for the try Utnik.

I attempted it with a number of other geez fonts, with the same results.

Finally I traced the font with a bezier curve, then made that into a shape. That kind of worked, even though it's laborious.

Stranger