Export save as PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

Sculptorguy

All my photos have different DPI values, some as low as 72 DPI, but seem OK to the eye. Scribus stops the save due to a photo which is more than this. Do all the images have to be the same DPI value? as Ive set it to 72. my lowest value, in the pdf save window. not checking the compress box seems to make no difference. Not familiar with those settings, any pointers would be appreciated

RodneyLee

can you make a sample .sla file that this happens in so we can test it and see what's going on?, what's your set up (PC) and version of Scribus

Sculptorguy

Don't know how to do that, even. Sorry.

Sculptorguy

Scribus is 1.4.8 and its Windows 10 on my PC.

RodneyLee

MAke a scribus file with just two images that cause the problem, save everything in one folder, Zip it and if its small enough upload here if not put in dropbox or another file share service and share the link and we will be able to test

Stranger

Hi,

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place (perhaps I should be starting a new topic?), but I have an issue which seems related to this one.

I have a one page sla that I wish to save as PDF, in order to give the file to the printer.

It's a poster, in A1 paper format. I'm using Scribus 1.4.8.

Everytime I try to either export as PDF, or save as PDF, the system freezes, and nothing happens (a box comes up saying : printing, not responding).

On the other hand, if I print or export an A4 pdf, then it works... (I can a A4 'piece' of my A1 poster).

It the issue that my computer cannot handle the size generated by an A1 pdf? (on the poster, I have 3 layers, only text and some objects, and no pictures).

When I do a print preview, it works just fine. Export as image also works.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Stranger

I should perhaps add the following info:

I'm using Windows 10
Computer has 4 GB RAM
There are different scripts of font on the document (Noto Ethiopic and Calibri regular)

RodneyLee

sounds like your trying to use a .pdf print driver and not Scribus pdf export, have you tried Scribus 1.5.5?, I have never actually used 1.4.8

Stranger

Hi Rodney Lee,

Do you think the problem would be resolved by using Scribus 5 ?

I have tried using both the export function and a pdf driver (both to no avail).

I do manage to save an A4 'piece' of my A1 file to pdf (I think it just centers on the A1 and prints an A4 'keyhole' view.

I have tried to use a pdf driver with an A1 option, but it just grinds to a halt.

Stranger

Hi Rodney,

Well, it does actually work (the export to PDF function, that is), but only if I cut 80 % of the text that I've put on one of the layers...

Then it works a charm.

I don't undertand why this is, seeing that even if I have a lot of text (50 000 words, as point 5--I'm making a typographical poster of a book), surely this should not be more difficult to handle than a bunch of complex designs and pictures? (of which I have none--as there is only text, and a few objects).

Do you have any idea how I could find a solution to this (I would prefer not, to buy a new computer right now!).

Thanks.

RodneyLee

I'd be happy to test your file I use 1.5.5 (linux) does 1.4.8 use preflight, if so does it show errors?

Stranger

Hi Rodney,

Yes, it does show errors (which I just ignored, and hit the export to PDF anyway).

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the error box also showed on the pared down version that I did manage to export to pdf (in which I just reduced the number of words on  the page).

You say you'd be willing to check my file? That would be much appreciated! How do we do that?

Stranger

Quote from: Stranger on February 09, 2020, 03:57:13 PM
Hi Rodney,

Yes, it does show errors (which I just ignored, and hit the export to PDF anyway).

I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the error box also showed on the pared down version that I did manage to export to pdf (in which I just reduced the number of words on  the page).

You say you'd be willing to check my file? That would be much appreciated! How do we do that?

Ok, well I managed to save as a PDF!

Only problem is, I'm not quite sure what I did...

Could be one (or both) of these two things I did:

-I downloaded Scribus 5 (I was using 4.8) and opened the sla file I had done in 4.8
-I toggled around with the Font subsets

... and it printed just fine.

RodneyLee

Congrats, you can upload a file here  or to a cloud service/file share and post the link other people may test it also