EPS art appears stairstepped; ghostscript is installed

Previous topic - Next topic

inkuser

Why would this be? The EPS art readily imports but the shape is very jaggy. I have Preview set to "Full Resolution."

A PDF of the same document shows the same EPS as less jaggy but still not sharp and crisp.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

EDIT: While I can't improve the display quality on the pasteboard, I can greatly vary the output quality to PDF.

It would be very nice for Vector EPS to appear razor-sharp in Scribus..maybe one day?

mnawij

Hi inkuser,

Could you post the offending .eps file?  I have never seen this issue except with raster/bitmap .eps files and those that are of low quality/resolution.  Also which OS and version of Scribus are you using?  Are you using the import vector option or cut/paste the vector file into Scribus?

Cheers!

mnawij

inkuser

This forum doesn't permit attaching an eps and I don't have access to FTP to post it online. It's a 5-point star created in adobe illustrator, with a gradient fill and a different gradient stroke.

You can see the stairstepping of this graphic - after imported into Scribus - on the diagonals.

Method to get this image into my Scribus document:

Right click on picture box > Get Image

Thanks!

a.l.e

- you can zip the eps and attach (i think)
- you can use a file sharing site like https://framadrop.org/

inkuser

OK..here we go.

also, using Scribus 1.4.8 on windows 10

[attachment deleted by admin]

mnawij

When using the 'get image' option it does not bring in the object as a vector.  File -> Import -> Get Vector is the correct way to do this.  Also, gradients from Illustrator is 50/50 on whether or not Scribus will import them correctly in my experience.  I would export the object as a .tif, .jpg, .png, etc... file at 600-1200 dpi from Illustrator and import that image as a work around.

Cheers!

mnawij

inkuser

a.l.e

when imported as a vector, the eps looks share at any size...

inkuser

I can't import .eps "as vector"   

Just tried. I get the progress bar but it errors out with no explanation.

mnawij

My first guess would be the gradients.  Save the Illustrator file as a .pdf file version 1.5 and try the import vector file with that and let me know.

Cheers!

mnawij

inkuser

mnawij

As attached, a gradient fill worked just fine though when trying to apply a gradient to the stroke, it would not import.  I hope this information helps.  If you could .zip up the .eps file for me to review and test it would help.

Cheers!

mnawij

inkuser

mnawij

My mistake, see attached files.  Scribus 1.5.3 file though.  I believe it has to do with the Creative Cloud new version.  I opened it in creative cloud, down saved to CS6, opened this file in CS6 and then down saved again to Illustrator CS2 version.  Seems to work.  I do not have Scribus 1.4 here to test...

mnawij

inkuser

these suggestions are excellent, but aren't improving things.

Does it matter that I'm using the Portable versions of Scribus and Ghostscript?