Scribusoid

Author Topic: Place-holder for section name in Masterpage  (Read 248 times)

Marian

• Scribus User
Place-holder for section name in Masterpage
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:58:53 am »
Hello,

I am quite new to scribus. I am trying to find some basic functions and it seems, that Masterpage can not generate automatically any other labels, except pagination. Am I right or may I be missing something? Is there a way to put other automatical labels/place-holders to the masterpage, such as section names, chapters, etc.?

I do not really have experience with layouting complex documents, such as books and brochures, except in lyx/latex. There, tools for such layouts are pretty robust (for instance, put a chapter name in the header of every even page and section name on every odd and pagination in the footer...).
Scribus is of course a very different programm. What would be the best workflow to cop with similar tasks in scribus? Putting section/chapter names on each page manually can't really be considered a serious solution for any larger project (book, brochure, presentations, etc.), I suppose...
Or are there some plans to include similar functionalities in the future?

Thank you any advice.

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
Re: Place-holder for section name in Masterpage
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:12:05 pm »
something like this will come into scribus.

the development version of scribus now has variable texts and marks.
but it's not stable yet.

first we need that somebody checks that everything is fine in there and then we have to find a solution for context aware variable texts...
if a new developer wants to jump in, it will happen earlier : - )
(basically, we need somebody who needs this feature, has free time (or the feature is worth enough money that she can do it as a paid job) and has the skills to fix and program the feature).

Marian

• Scribus User
Re: Place-holder for section name in Masterpage
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:03:18 pm »
Thank you for your answer.

Good to hear these functions will come eventually. Unfortunately, I do not have the features, to help develop it. But I might have a look at the development version of scribus and give it a try. I am about to produce a small brochure presentation (small job, but lots of graphics and for print -- so neither libreoffice, nor lyx fits very well), could be a good testing material for dev version of software.

palmate