Dialog boxes are cut off

Previous topic - Next topic

mtaylor13

I'm a first time Scribus user and I was excited to give Scribus 1.5.5 a try because of its added support for OpenType fonts but I immediately ran into a problem in that the dialog boxes are too large for my display, particularly the Style Manager box which also cannot be resized.

I did a lot of searching and found several other users who had similar problems to my own, especially those working on laptops (I myself am working on a 13 inch Dell Inspiron running Windows 10), but I couldn't find anything that seemed to propose a solution other than this: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=14365

However patching applications is way out of my skill set, and my attempts at trying to learn how to do it sent me down a confusing rabbit hole that just left me feeling more frustrated. For curiosity's sake I gave version 1.4.8 a try and did not have the problem there, but OpenType support is an important feature for me so it'd be great if I could get 1.5.5 to work. Scribus looks like a fantastic problem and I'd hate to not be able use it because of something like this.

a.l.e

the patch attached to that ticket is imo not a good one.

we need a patch that does not change the horizontal behavior but adds a vertical scrollbar.
the patch also adds horizontal scrollbars and does not horizontally shrink the widgets.

mtaylor13

Is there any fix that you know of that doesn't involve the use of a patch? I'm also curious what the change was that caused this problem to pop up in 1.5.5.

a.l.e

betweeen 1.5.5 and 1.4.8 there is a big difference.

the formatting has got many new features and the dialog needed to be enlarged.

you are not supposed to apply that patch, but until somebody makes a good patch, the situation will not change.
people who can program are often see as wizards, but, no, it needs work to create all the code. no magic wand involved : - )

on linux one can move a dialog by clicking in the middle of it, but on windows i fear that there is no easy way to see the parts that are hidden below the bottom of the screen (you can always use alt-space but it's not that comfortable)
so, in the short term, a bigger screen (or one with a higher resolution) is probably the only solution.

mtaylor13

I forgot to consider the additional space that all the new features would take up, so I understand now why the boxes don't fit. Unfortunately the screen that I'm working with right now is all I have access to, so it looks like I'm out of luck, as I had feared. :(

As somebody who has tried and failed at programming, I certainly understand the amount of work it takes into developing a program such as this. Fixing one problem can lead to another, and so on and so on. Nonetheless, I eagerly look forward to the day that someone is able to work out a patch to make things fit.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It seems Scribus isn't going to work out for me at the moment, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it.

a.l.e

as i hinted in my previous post, if you really want, on windows you can move the dialog with the keyboard.

you have to press alt-space to open the control dialog in the top left corner of the window (it will open even if you don't see it) then press the m key to pick the "Move" option (trust me, it will and you will be able to move the window with the arrow keys.
(i guess you will need to press enter or esc to exit the moving mode)

it's not 100% friendly but if you don't need to do it too often, it will work.

for the curious ones: on linux you can simply press the win/meta/super key and click on the window to move it...

we need to solve this dialog size issue...
and i already tried but could not find a solution that was good.