Scribus and Zotero

Previous topic - Next topic

macsnapper

I'd love to help my wife create her academic paper in Scribus but she needs to be able to use Zotero for her bibliography. I'm having a devil of a time in Open office with images jumping all over the place.
I asked Zotero if they would ever make Zotero available for Scribus and this was their reply:

"The Zotero team is quite limited on resources, so they focus only on a few official plugins. If Scribus allows plugins and there is a third party developer who is interested in writing a small plugin, then this would be possible. "

It would be fantastic if someone could pick this up...

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/21154?page=1

John_Jason_Jordan

I used Zotero for academic papers with OpenOffice.org, although now I have switched to LibreOffice. It works just as well in LibreOffice. Like your wife, I depend on it for citations and references. Zotero is an awesome tool.

I don't have any programming skills, so I can't comment on the possibility of a Zotero plugin for Scribus. However, Scribus will happily import text from OOo or LO, preserving styles even. Scribus is designed for a workflow where images are created in bitmap or vector editors, text is created in a word processor, and all are assembled for layout in Scribus. Although you can certainly edit text in Scribus, it is not designed to be a writing tool.

Usually OOo/LO is all that I need for an academic paper, but I feel your pain when you have a lot of images. In that case, leave the images out of the OOo document, i.e., use OOo just for writing. All the citations and references created by Zotero in your OOo document will still be in the text after importing it into Scribus.
Linguistics on Linux!

Meho R.

Quote from: John_Jason_Jordan on January 03, 2012, 07:14:24 PM

Usually OOo/LO is all that I need for an academic paper, but I feel your pain when you have a lot of images. In that case, leave the images out of the OOo document, i.e., use OOo just for writing. All the citations and references created by Zotero in your OOo document will still be in the text after importing it into Scribus.

But some cross-references will probably be messed up, so double-check everything, especially if there are references to page numbers generated automatically. Add to that that Scribus cannot handle footnotes properly, so if there are any (or lot) of them, reconsider.

BTW, ever considered using LaTeX ("pure" or via editors like LyX) for academic works? It seems like a natural choice...

macsnapper

Thank you both for your replies- I'll take it on board and see how it goes.
Happy New Year