transparency or no transparency

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillaume

The attachments show the face of a little girl.  captureRegan2.png  has a circle filled with her face, which is surrounded by transparency; this photo is the one that I downloaded to the program.  captureRegan.png shows no transparency as the face is surrounded by white; this photo is the one that appears when doing the print preview. Why does this happen and how do I correct?  Why does PNG transparency work one place and not in another?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Guillaume

a.l.e

just a wild guess:

if you loaded to times the same png file, the first image frame has a white background and the second one a transparent one.

if it's not the case, please share the .sla : - )
you can remove all the other pages and items on the same page and save a copy with only the two frames.

Nermander

Maybe one of image frames has a white background color?

Guillaume

The little girl was loaded into Scribus on a transparent BG, the original picture.  That same picture loses its transparency when simply previewed. 
Guillaume

a.l.e

as said, if it's not about the background color of the frame, you need to at least share the .sla with the two frames.
you don't need to upload the whole .sla, just the page where this happens with the two frames (you can make a copy of the document, remove all other pages and frames on the same page... then check that the issue still happens, of course!)
we can then check if they really reference the same image and / or there are unusual settings.

utnik

hi ale

it's not about different frames.
as i understand, guillaume says that the white background is only visible in preview mode.

the real question is: what do you see in the exported .pdf file?

utnik

a.l.e

ah, ok... yes, i've missed that word...

first: if you're doing "file > print preview", you should probably use "view > preview mode" instead.
does it look ok there?

and, indeed, does the pdf look ok?

Guillaume

When doing the PDF print preview. it shows some warning triangles about things like resolution, empty frames... Indeed, my pictures had way too low a resolution.  I have increased the resolution to 300 dpi but, the problem has remained.  I guessI I will have to show you more of  the Scribus page.  So I will leave here and return when ready to do so.

Guillaume

Guillaume

Well, I have returned already because of a tiny change, which may have implications for some of the forum readers.  The print preview has now returned the page with the girl's face on a transparent BCG.  Ah! I thought, now we're cookimg.  However, the printed page on my Epson delivered the BG error again, being white, the face surrounded by a white square.  So now you can't rely on print preview to give you a dependable  preview?!  I'll let you guys think this over...
Guillaume

utnik

hi guillaume

did you print from scribus or export to .pdf and print from a .pdf reader?
...usually you should export to .pdf first!

utnik

a.l.e

we guys already thought it over...
at least the ones of us that are tired of repeating over and over that one should not print directly from scribus...

this having been said, if you create a pdf from scribus, what you get *must* be what you will be able to print (if you correctly created the pdf *and* the print shop correctly prints the pdf).
again, if you want a preview (that will or not match depending on the pdf version / setting you will be picking in the pdf export dialog), please use the "preview mode" in the "view" menu.

this having been (2) said, we still don't know what exactly you're doing and i'm getting tired of keeping on guessing what you might be doing.

just write down the exact command your issuing and share the files you're using / producing.

Guillaume

My apologies for staying away so long.  Some circonstances can alter your day-to-day existence.  That's over now.  Let me tell you how I discovered the answer; it was simple.  I found that some PNG images would show with their transparence.  Examining them showed higher resolutions.  Deduction:  my picture must have too low a resolution.  I corrected and now the little girl's face is on the transparent BG.  I thank all of you guys for your efforts helping a novice.
Guillaume