Keyboard arrow increment adjustable?

Previous topic - Next topic

inkuser

Can the User set the amount of distance something will move by selecting the object and pressing an arrow key on the keyboard?

Right now on my set-up, that amount seems to be 1/2"   Be nice if I could set it to any value.

Thank you for any clues!

inkuser

It appears that the keyboard arrow increment is tied to the document units.

If your units are points, pressing a keyboard arrow once will move an object 1 point in the direction of the arrow you press. Units in CM? One arrow press will move the item 1cm.

If you need to alter the keyboard arrow increment, you must change the units of the document, then back when you're finished doing your fine moves with the keyboard arrow.

::)

utnik

hi inkuser

with the shift key the movement will be a tenth of the standard and with 'cmd' (on mac, might be 'ctrl' on other systems) it's ten times the standard value.

utnik

a.l.e

in europe the most common unit for page layout is mm.

as far as i know north america "still" mostly uses inches and picas.

so, if you're in europe, there is no reason for using pt.

and if you're in north america... you should probably avoid using pt... and write a letter to your representative and ask for your country to (really) move to the metric system : - )

as far as i know, the modifiers for the arrow movements are correct for all sane units of measurement (in the past, professional users have given their advice and got the development team to fix the ones that were not correct).

inkuser

Quote from: a.l.e on October 10, 2019, 09:33:55 AM(in the past, professional users have given their advice and got the development team to fix the ones that were not correct).

Many of us who visit this forum are professional users. ;-)

There is solid merit to the idea that North America should change to the metric system, but until that time arrives, designers in North America design within the conventions and standards that are practiced and observed where s/he works.

RodneyLee

LOL, you ever try and buy car parts that are metric?, there are so many variations in the metric system, I had a British Car (spitfire) tried to buy a break line
they offed them in Japanse Metric German Metric and others. In Canada which is metric when you go to buy wood you buy 2x4's (not 5.080000cm X 10.16000cm).

I hope it has better standards for print :)

a.l.e

LOOOL!!+!!! and have you ever tried to measure snow in metric?
there is no place with 0.508 m snow... it's 2'!
they can  keep on forcing the german metric on us, but snow will still be falling one inch at a time!

a.l.e

dear inkuser

if you have issues with the way the modifier-arrows work for inches in scribus 1.5, please specify what you exactly want and if the request is sane it will be implemented.

i tend to recall that it was not optimal in the past, and somebody suggested a new setup which has been then applied.

generally speaking, i prefer getting the software to have (very) good behaviors, rather than putting the effort in making it highly configurable.
sometimes there is a real need for different configurations, but, most of the time, the wish for configuration is more a sign that something is not good enough...

Nermander

Quote from: a.l.e on October 13, 2019, 10:55:19 AM
LOOOL!!+!!! and have you ever tried to measure snow in metric?

In Sweden we use centimeters. Here is the page from the Swedish meteroligical institute:
https://www.smhi.se/en/weather/sweden-weather/snow-depth/

inkuser

Quote from: a.l.e on October 13, 2019, 11:59:27 AM
dear inkuser

if you have issues with the way the modifier-arrows work for inches in scribus 1.5, please specify what you exactly want and if the request is sane it will be implemented.

Do you mean holding Shift and/or Shift+Ctrl while arrowing the item? I'm totally good with that. I'm a huge fan of keeping hands on the keyboard with key commands, and mousing for what the keyboard isn't good for.

Now that I know those modifier keys, they're hard-wired into me noodle.

Thank you!