Issue: Text field's mysterious changing dimensions

Previous topic - Next topic

Onceler

I'm using Scribus version 1.5.5 on Ubuntu 18.10.

I created a table using the table tool. All of the cells in this column have center-aligned text, but in one cell (labeled "Steal"), the center line does not appear to be in the same place as the other cells in the column.

Weirdly, if I decrease the size of this text enough, it snaps back into place, as if the width of the field has increased.

If I take that same small text and right-align it, it snaps properly to the far right of the cell...

But, while right-aligned, I increase the size of the text back up again (to match the size of other cells in the column), it again snaps into misalignment, as if the text frame just shrank. In this screenshot, the "Steal" text is still right-aligned:

As far as I can tell, this text is the exact same style as everything else in the column. It's not specially styled or aligned. For whatever reason, it's a text frame that acts as though it were the proper width at small font sizes, but much shorter in width at larger font sizes.

Can anyone kindly help me understand what's happening here and how to fix it?

Thank you.

a.l.e

hard to say, without seeing the table...

can you paste it in a new .sla file and upload here that document?

Onceler

Quote from: a.l.e on October 05, 2019, 10:16:12 AM
hard to say, without seeing the table...

can you paste it in a new .sla file and upload here that document?
I've copied the table into a new .sla file. (Un)fortunately, the issues I described are not replicating in the new file. Instead, I'll attach the project file (with some text dummied around).

To see the bugged behavior, increase the font size of the cell reading "Steal". You can also see it by changing the font size of the cell beneath it, which contains a multiplication symbol. It does the same thing: if the font size gets bigger, the cell dimensions seem to change.

When I copy this table to a new document, I can resize the text in those cells without issue, strangely. This would suggest a workaround to my issue, but I'd also like to understand what's happening and why so that I don't need to resort to a workaround.

The cells in question use the Liberation Serif and Open Sans fonts. I've seen the issue when using Arial, so I don't think this is a font-specific problem, but I figured I'd note that just in case. Also, for compatibility purposes, I'll note that this document was created in Scribus v1.5.5.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

hi oncelar,

i can replicate the bug, but even by looking at the xml in the .sla file i can't figure out why it happens.

can you please upload the attached file to https://bugs.scribus.net ?