Cannot import .tifs

Previous topic - Next topic

archiemac

I'm using Scribus 1.4.8 for Mac on MacOS 10.14.6. My files (.sla and images) are on Google Drive File Stream.

I can locate and insert JPEG files into image frames in my Scribus document. But when I try to insert a .tif file, the image does not appear. Instead, only the file name appears, and the Info says 'File <name>.tif is missing'.

I notice that when the file manager opens for me to import an image, there are no previews of my .tif files, whereas there are previews for JPEGs.

The .tif files really are in the directory I'm selecting from, and I can open them in other applications.

Internet searches don't produce anything relevant, and I'm now completely at a loss to understand why I can't import tifs that are present on my attached volume. Any advice would be very gratefully recieved!

TIA

archie

archiemac

...some further results of troubleshooting:

I wondered if there was a problem with rendering the images with Ghostscript 9.27 on MacOS 10.14, so I downgraded Ghostscript to 9.26 (as Richard Koch advises in case of difficulty). Made no difference:  I still couldn't see the .tif previews or import .tif files.

So opened my document in Scribus 1.4.8 on a laptop running Debian 10, with the .sla and the image files on a share on my local network. No joy: still can't see the .tif previews or import the .tif files into image frames in my document.

By process of elimination, the finger is beginning to point at the .tif files themselves. Does Scribus require the .tifs to have particular properties? (Mine were created with GIMP, as uncompressed, 32-bit floating point TIFFs.)

...OK, so I tried a .tif created from a scanned negative by my Epson V750 scanner. Bingo! that imports into the image frame perfectly. So the problem is something to do with the .tif files created by GIMP from my (very high res) out-of-camera JPEGs. (I like to use the brilliant Acros film simulation JPEGs produced by my Fuji cameras. Converting them straight to TIFFs should avoid noticeable degredation when I export my document as a PDF from Scribus.)

Anyway, it looks like I'm doing something wrong during the conversion to .tif files. Any help would be gratefully received!

jghali

Your problem is caused by your use of floating points encodings when saving TIFFs with Gimp. These encodings are not in any way supported by Scribus.

archiemac

Quote from: jghali on September 19, 2019, 05:06:29 AM
Your problem is caused by your use of floating points encodings when saving TIFFs with Gimp. These encodings are not in any way supported by Scribus.
Thank you! I've changed the precision to 16bit integer, and everything works fine.  :)