PDF Not Printing

Previous topic - Next topic

HikinMike

This is probably more of a printer issue, but I thought I'd post here in case somebody had any ideas.

I usually use CS2 InDesign to create our church's bulletins. I need a backup person as I'm going on vacation, so I started using Scribus 1.5.5 so she can familiar with the program. Once I was done, I exported it to a PDF (Acrobat 5). I opened up the PDF and it looked as it should. I e-mail the file to the guy that prints at at the church. He tried to print it and he said it's blank. He had to print as a PDF in Windows to make it work. I've tried to save the PDF as Acrobat 4, 5 and 6 with no results. I'm able to print it on my printer at home, so I know the PDF is good.

They use a Konica Minolta BizHub C258 if that helps.

Is there some magic formula to get this to print as a PDF?

[attachment deleted by admin]

RodneyLee

I have seen that happen with Windows computers, never did figure out why

mnawij

Hi HikinMike,

I printed the .pdf file without issues on a Canon C800. I am a bit confused, did the church try to print the Scribus file or the attached .pdf file? What OS and Scribus version did you generate the .pdf file with?  Thanks!

Cheers

mnawij

HikinMike

Quote from: mnawij on August 26, 2019, 04:53:28 AM
Hi HikinMike,

I printed the .pdf file without issues on a Canon C800. I am a bit confused, did the church try to print the Scribus file or the attached .pdf file? What OS and Scribus version did you generate the .pdf file with?  Thanks!

Cheers

mnawij

I gave them the attached PDF. I'm using Win7 with Scribus 1.5.5. I also tried 1.4.8 as well. They are sending a tech to look at the printer. I will update when I found out more.

Nermander

What program are they using to print the PDF?

PDFs from Scribus usually have very good conformance to the PDF standard.

HikinMike

Quote from: Nermander on August 26, 2019, 06:35:13 PM
What program are they using to print the PDF?

To my knowledge he is just plugging in a thumb drive with the PDF and printing via the thumb drive. No computer involved.

HikinMike

To add, it is odd because I used Scribus 1.4.8 to print some other material at the local college and they didn't have any issues.

a.l.e

how big and how complex is the file?

i wonder if it's a memory issue...

HikinMike

Quote from: a.l.e on August 26, 2019, 09:24:14 PM
how big and how complex is the file?

i wonder if it's a memory issue...

I posted the file above.

a.l.e

it's only one page?

that file will not print well, because of the artifacts you have around the text.

you really should

- buy https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/santa-claus-little-boy-reading-together-343083458
- buy the "Mostra Nuova Bold" for the text on the right
- buy Prumo Display Black for the text at the bottom
- buy or redo the pictures with the harp + christmas tree & the small flags

at least, you should cut out the images and redo the text.

personally, i don't see any reason why the file you attached should not print... even if the result will probably be rather bad.

HikinMike

Quote from: a.l.e on August 26, 2019, 11:41:33 PM
it's only one page?

that file will not print well, because of the artifacts you have around the text.

you really should

- buy https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/santa-claus-little-boy-reading-together-343083458
- buy the "Mostra Nuova Bold" for the text on the right
- buy Prumo Display Black for the text at the bottom
- buy or redo the pictures with the harp + christmas tree & the small flags

at least, you should cut out the images and redo the text.

personally, i don't see any reason why the file you attached should not print... even if the result will probably be rather bad.

Sorry, I don't understand. There is only one image, a image of a banner. There is no harp, christmas tree or flags images. Why should I buy fonts?

RodneyLee

Hahahha, he was looking at another post and replying to yours, something I would have done

RodneyLee

when this happened to me we found it to be the other computer that was the issue not Scribus, in that case, send them a .jpg

mnawij

See the attached screenshot, there are two permissions that are denied, it might be that the usb drive application might be trying to use either one of these options and not being allowed to. I know my digital press software has issues with this... I would recommend turning off the encryption option under the security tab in Scribus, so that these options will be cleared and give it another try.  Just a suggestion, not sure if it would fix it, but it is better to eliminate possible causes and keep working down until the problem found.

Cheers!

mnawij

HikinMike

Quote from: mnawij on August 27, 2019, 04:35:49 AM
See the attached screenshot, there are two permissions that are denied, it might be that the usb drive application might be trying to use either one of these options and not being allowed to. I know my digital press software has issues with this... I would recommend turning off the encryption option under the security tab in Scribus, so that these options will be cleared and give it another try.  Just a suggestion, not sure if it would fix it, but it is better to eliminate possible causes and keep working down until the problem found.

Cheers!

mnawij

Thanks for looking into this. From what I can see, my Scribus PDF Export is not set for encrypt.