Image Quality in pdfs.

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

I often receive copy as images - eg: the attached png.

When the document is exported to pdf for printing there will be 'dirty' or 'noisy' areas around fonts and other areas (sample pdf attached).

TBH I'm not even sure if I'm looking in the right place to debug this. Any advice?

[attachment deleted by admin]

RodneyLee

looks like too much compression, low res image, at 300 dpi you have a 3.2 inch X 2.3 inch image

mnawij

Hi Derek,

From what I see, the original .png file is only 96dpi and your .pdf file was created at 150dpi.  I also see that you made the original file smaller in size which when I recreate the same size in Photoshop would be 195 dpi.  The dirty or noisy section you are referring to probably has to do with when you reduced the dimensions or when it was re-sampled either up or down when the PDF file was created, this would be the options you chose when creating the PDF.  I would scale the image to the actual size in GIMP or photoshop to have a higher resolution of the image before placing it in Scribus... Which OS and Scribus version are you using btw?  I did a quick recreate and mine seems to be fine, so I do not believe Scribus is the problem here (To large to attach).  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

mnawij

[attachment deleted by admin]

Derek

Many thanks.

It's looking like user error rather then system error.  That wouldn't surprise me! :D

I will do some playing around and see if I can achieve better results as suggested. I,ll be back in a few days as I now have to focus on a deadline.