Layout question for non-identical cards (9-up, varying text)

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarGranulation

I need to create a set of cards, along the lines of playing cards, where the layout of elements is uniform but the specific contents vary.

Nine to a page, all with the same decoration but different text.
Six text frames each.

Is there a way to automate the replication of the layout in this manner?

RodneyLee

once laid out on a page can it be turned to a master page?

RodneyLee

I just had to test that, works perfectly, so Layout your page, goto page and convert to master page, then when you add a new page make sure you select the master page you'd like to use, Normal or the one you just created

SolarGranulation

Thank you for responding. That's a good start, certainly, but still means having 9 separate instances of the common layout in that master page, doesn't it?

Or is there a way that I can create a smaller master page and instantiate 9 copies within another page?

Nermander

I think what you are looking for is "Multiple duplicate".

You may need to play around a bit with it to learn how it works, and I would suggest grouping the contents before duplicating to make selection easier.

RodneyLee

Yes you have to set up first page no matter what, either a small page with one instance which you should be able to print tiled 9 times on a single page (I have not tried that in a long time, used to do business cards that way) or you can layout all 9 on a page using Ctrl D to duplicate the first box you make (its not difficult to do) and only needs to be done once.

also would not take any more time than we have used talking about here in this forum, the actual content may take more time

SolarGranulation

Okay, so it looks as though the best solution for my use case, right now, is creating small pages and printing them 9-up, so that I only need edit one instance of any element in the master page.

It's not ideal, because frankly my printer software isn't particularly good. But we do what we must (because we can).

I was hoping there would be some way to, as it might be, apply a master page to a frame or something like that. But, this'll work.

Oh by the way, I'm grateful for how fast you both responded.

Nermander

Have a try with Multiple duplicate. They trick is to save the file before doing the duplication, so you can revert easily to where you only have one instance of the card.