Inserting new chapter

Previous topic - Next topic

Woman Writer

Instead of inserting my document into Scribus one chapter at a time, I imported the entire document into Scribus. But now I need to separate the chapters. How do I move a new chapter to a new page? Is using a hard return good enough, or will that mess things up when making it into a PDF later?

a.l.e

hi woman writer,

i would create one chain of linked text frames per chapter.
for practical reasons, but also because scribus does not perform that well with very long text flows.

on the other side, what you see is what you get in the pdf: if you get it right on screen, it will be the same on paper.
(or at least it should be that way... and if it's not it's probably a bug)

ciao
a.l.e

jack_cat

It's also true that Scribus sometimes chokes with long files period, although I think this may be only when there are many graphics. In any case, I have found that it works better for me to keep Scribus files under 50 pages or so, and to use a different file for each chapter. The page numbers can be set for each chapter in the document setup. The first page of each chapter usually needs a different master page from the rest of the text, with a different header and the page number in a different place. I find separate chapter files easier to work on in general, anyway.

(Also I start each chapter with a right-hand page and give it an even number of pages.)

After exporting each chapter to a PDF into a folder called pdf_assembly, I concatenate the PDFs with a PDF editor, I use PDF995. Print quality pdfs may be huge, and there is an advantage to keeping the chapter pdfs separate if you want to send them by email.