Polygon line is broken (not continuous)

Previous topic - Next topic

LastStarDust

Hello!
I am making a poster for an academic presentation but I am having an issue with custom shaped frames.
What I would like to accomplish is just to create a custom shaped frame and insert text into it. To do that, I have first drawn a curve with the Bezier curves tool, then I have converted the curve into a polygon and finally, I have converted the polygon into a text frame. I don't know if there is a better way to accomplish that.
Anyway, the final result is visually good but the border of the frames is not continuous (at least in one point), as you can see from the attached PDF.
I have attached also the relative .sla file.
Is that a known issue?
Thank you for the help

• Scribus: 1.4.6 (installed through apt)

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

hi laststardust

since you want to create a regular shape, i would not do that by playing with the bezier tool, but "act" on "standard" shapes.

- create a rectangle
- create a circle (hold down ctrl while dragging if you don't want an ellipse...)
- use the path operations to cut out the circle from the rectangle

here is a screencast of it:

[attachment deleted by admin]

LastStarDust

Thank you very much for the hint. I will give it a try.

a.l.e

btw, i just tried, and there is a way to close the bezier curve by using the shape editor (double click on the shape or look for it in the properties palette...)

but i would start with shapes if you can, it's simpler!

LastStarDust

That may be the case but the Bezier curve that I have created does close indeed when I convert to a polygon (I have checked), and the white non-continuous space is not even occurring near a node or an endpoint. I think it is more of a graphical artifact.

utnik

...and you should move your frames at least 5mm away from the edges of the final document. otherwise half of the line will be cut off.

utnik

LastStarDust

Thank you for the suggestion. Will pay attention to that!

LastStarDust

Thank you to you both. The end result is much better than the original. And the line problem is solved of course.

a.l.e

ok, now i see it.

there is an artifact and the spacing is different at different zoom sizes.

the strangest thing for me: it also happens in the pdf!

would you mind uploading the sla and pdf to the bug tracker?

https://bugs.scribus.net

ciao
a.l.e

LastStarDust

I have reported the issue in the bug tracker.
It didn't show up in the list of issues ... but that is maybe because it must be accepted first.

a.l.e

no, sorry, if it does not show up, it did not get through...

at least, if you have put "polygon" in the title, i cannot see it in the list of tickets...

can you please retry?

a.l.e

perfect, thanks!

finally, do you still need help for creating your layout or it's all sorted now?

LastStarDust

It is all sorted out. Thank you anyway.