PANTONE® & RAL® color palettes for Scribus (+ GIMP & Inkscape)

Previous topic - Next topic

S1SYPHOS

Hello there,
since this is my first post on this forum, here's a short description of my way leading to Scribus.

Now, I just wanted to let you know (and gather some feedback) that I created a package created a package (written in Python) that let's you fetch & generate color palettes for (proprietary) PANTONE® & RAL® color spaces - not only for Scribus, but GIMP & Inkscape, too (which I guess many open-source people are using in combination with Scribus). There's some work needed here and there, but basically everything is up & running.

Maybe that's something you don't need, but as said before, I'd be interested in your opinions & feedback!

Cheers,
S1SYPHOS

Moderation: Add the new link

a.l.e

nice!

three remarks before even looking at the features : - )

- i hope that you knew about http://www.selapa.net/swatchbooker/ ...
- remove NOW pantone from the name of your project!
  do that before people know your project and you have to communicate a name change...
  as far as i know that company is not that friendly with people using their name in their products (at least they seem not have as many issues anymore with people using their resources...)
- submit the script to https://github.com/libregraphicsmeeting/state-of-lg-2019/ : - ) ... and join us the next LGM if you have some spare time!

S1SYPHOS

I wanted to edit my post, but didn't manage to, so here goes:

Quote from: a.l.e on May 01, 2019, 03:18:22 PM
- remove NOW pantone from the name of your project!

Changed name of the repository, now to be found here.

Quote from: a.l.e on May 01, 2019, 03:18:22 PM
- i hope that you knew about http://www.selapa.net/swatchbooker/ ...

Well, to be honest, I didn't look too closely at SwatchBooker's features .. *sigh* I read about it before, but ..
- had problems getting it to run
- first two links are dead (seemed out of touch)
- wanted to create a Python script from scratch (my first one actually)
- scraping colors from RAL & Pantone seemed a fun challenge

Regarding "you-know-what-company", I felt safe looking at other projects to be found on Github right now, and giving proper credits was self-evident (even links to shop items in source code  :-[).

a.l.e

nice pick with the new name!
as a spam protection measure, you can only edit your posts for a limited time (i did not check, it's somewhere between 1 and 24 hours). but i've edited the link in your original post!

concerning swatchbooker: it's indeed unmaintained and since it depends on pyqt4 (and probably python2) it's a bit of a pain to get to work...

personally, i don't use color swatches, but i might want to try to port to a more modern technology at some time in the future!

anyway, from what i've seen, you did a good job and, indeed, fetching things from the web is a good way to start programming with python!

S1SYPHOS

Changelog:
- Added all 1768 Dulux colors
- Added all 289 Copic colors
- Added proper copyight notice inside GPL & XML color palette files

Which approach, in your opinion, would be best to merge the single fetching files I produced so far? I'm thinking: passing CLI arguments which set should be fetched, if none specified: fetch all.

a.l.e

personally, i would avoid creating a CLI gui (that is a program that asks questions...)

... having CLI arguments seems a good idea and in the future it might be possible to create both a GUI and CLI program...

S1SYPHOS

S1SYPHOS

Releasing v1.0.0-beta.1
`we-love-colors` now includes
- CLI support
- `requirements.txt` for easier setup via `pip install -r requirements.txt`
- `setup.sh` bash script, setting up virtualenv & installing dependencies

Roadmap:
- parallel downloads
- more formats
- (maybe) more color sets

As always, I'm open to your ideas & feedback. If you find it helpful, consider giving it a star on Github, this way I know that people actually use it  ;)

Gibbz

Interesting project!

Does this generate CMYK palletes?
Where do the pantone colors come from?

S1SYPHOS

Hey there,
I thought about including CMYK (currently not implemented), since CMYK generation from 'just' sRGB (without color profiles, etc) should be accurate - I'd have to look into this. Since pantone itself provides CMYK information, we could just grab those values for each color, ..

Their colors are scraped off an API which itself (somehow) generates the colors from their website.

a.l.e

about cmyk: i don't know the details about the palettes being imported by this script... but for the "real" pantone colors you will be using spot colors, with rendering information for the monitor... so i wonder why you would want to have cmyk colors... just curious...

S1SYPHOS

I see now clearly the ambiguity of my post. When I said ..

Quote from: S1SYPHOS on May 08, 2019, 08:50:10 AM
I thought about including CMYK (currently not implemented), since CMYK generation from 'just' sRGB (without color profiles, etc) should be accurate

.. really I wanted to say this:

I thought about including CMYK, but that's currently not implemented, since CMYK generation should be accurate, whereas using 'just' sRGB values (without color profiles, etc) is not

admoraes

Hi. Newbie here. First time I have contact with Python. I'm having difficulty running farben.

I installed Python on the Desktop. I ran the command "pip install farben". Afterwards, I couldn't move forward with anything else. No commands worked.

Sorry, but I'm completely lost.

a.l.e

you seem to be following

https://github.com/fundevogel/we-love-colors

after having done `pip install farben" in the terminal, you can then run `farben` as a "command" in the same terminal, as described in

https://github.com/fundevogel/we-love-colors#getting-started

you probably need to carefully read the whole README file on github to understand how to use `farben` (and also learn a bit how to use the terminal / console).

good luck!

admoraes

Sorry. Solved here. I've reinstalled Python and now everything is working.