ScribusGenerator: can no longer specify a variable for an image with v1.5.7

Previous topic - Next topic

mraskin

Hi,

I have moved to Scribus v1.5.7 and tried to create a new document that will use scribus Generator to create some pages automatically, grabbing the data from a .csv file.

On my template I have an image to specify. I thought I had became mad but no, there is a real issue I could not sort out. With v1.5.7, when you specify a file to populate an image in an image placeholder, the new interface checks the files exists and, if not, you cannot OK the form  :-[
This is killer when you want to have %VAR_myImage% as the file name.

I could not find in the preferences a way to disable this check.

Could you please tell me if you've managed to sort this issue out ?

Thanks for your help.

PatJr

I'm using 1.5.8 
I don't see a Generator script in the Script list, is that an addon ?

mraskin

Hi, no one can help on this ?

In fact this independent of ScribusGenerator.

At least, do you confirm that if you are typing a filename that does not exist when loading an image in an image placeholder, the version 1.5.7 won't accept it whereas this was OK in 1.4.x ?

Any way to disable this ?

There is still a possibility to hack the .sla file but, well, I'd like to avoid this trick.

Thanks.

a.l.e

With the little information you're giving, it's hard to tell, if in this specific case there is a bug in the script or if you're not using as intended.

Can you provide some simplified files (Scribus template, data file) that let us reproduce your issue?
And exact steps to follow?

But if you're sure that it's a bug in the script, you might directly fill a ticket in the ScribusGenerator's Github repository...

mraskin

Hi a.I.e

in my previous message I wrote : "In fact this independent of ScribusGenerator."
so, let's put aside the scribus generator script.

I also mentioned how to reproduce the issue : "At least, do you confirm that if you are typing a filename that does not exist when loading an image in an image placeholder, the version 1.5.7 won't accept it whereas this was OK in 1.4.x ?"

So, this is how to proceed :
- create an image placeholder : Insert -> image-box, shortcut 'I'  (I'm translating from French so may be slightly different)
- RMB + import an image (Shortcut CTRL-I)
- in the form, type the name imageNotThereYet.jpg
- hit enter

=> you should get an error, telling the image does not exist.
This is is the issue which prevents typing here the name of a variable that will be later used by the script generator.

In 1.4.x, there was not such check, and everything was OK.

Well, I can still create an empty file named %VAR_monImage% and use that (I've just figured this out) but this is more work., although doable.
Rather I'd like to know if there is a way to disable the file check.

Thanks.

a.l.e

ok, now i understand your issue.

i guess that:

- creating an image with a cross in it
- name it like the variable and
- linking to it from the template

would be the right approach for this.

is a bit what you are suggesting, but i would create a valid image and not an empty file.

in my eyes, even if it's a template for the ScribusGenerator, one should create a document that is as correct as possible.