Multiple PDF-Documents by one Svribus document

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamburger62

Hi all,

i am new on scribus and not sure if scribus is the right tool for me.

My problem:
i have to build courseware for a seminar. I need three documents and like to get these three docs by one source.

Document one is a trainer manual including whole content.
Document two is manual for participants. Here are some hints for trainer are deleted. These hints mostly written inside of grafics written in red color.
Document three is set of some (maybe 20%) pages of participants manual. These pages are printed as a flip chart.

All three need to be PDFs to be printed by supplier.

Any idea if i can do these with scribus and how to do?

Regards
Ralf

Nermander

Use layers. You can torn on/off layers för print/export.

But that will not change the number of pages, so for document 3 I think you are better off using a PDF editing software to delete unwanted pages after PDF export.

Hamburger62

QuoteUse layers. You can torn on/off layers för print/export.

sounds good - thanks

Quoteyou are better off using a PDF editing software to delete unwanted pages after PDF export.

Good idea. Any idea how to automate this. For example script/addin to export page# with special content?

Nermander

If it is just a one time job, why need to automate it?

I'd just export to PDF, make notes of what pages I wanted to keep (or remove) and then use some command line tool like:
pdftk full_file.pdf cat 2-4 6 8 10 12-end output stripped_file.pdf

The time needed to automate it would likely exceed the time needed to do the above a few times. I mean, you would only need to do it maybe 3-4 times. A first time to test how it works, one or two times for proof reading and then for the final version.

But if you can find a tool identifying the page numbers (maybe a Scribus script can give you the page numbers of pages tagged in a certain way) you could probably automate it. But it would take several runs to validate, and you would likely still need to proof the result several times before you can trust it.

Hamburger62

QuoteIf it is just a one time job, why need to automate it?

It is not a one time job. This is a workflow to create courseware.
Courseware development is like software development. I need several releases with qualitygates until the courseware is ready to use. And after this there are more releases after content or syllabus change. Last but not least some times this courseware development is teamwork - done by different editors.

Because i identified quality problems like different versions of manuals used in one produktion system i lkke to eliminate manual work which causes the different versions.
Last but not least i like to do this for my course. But it will be extended for at least one other course and if it works it wil be used by editors for more than 6 additional courses.

Quotepdftk full_file.pdf cat 2-4 6 8 10 12-end output stripped_file.pdf

Is pdftk server still alive? I used it with problems and tryed to contact the developer but got no answers. This was in mid 2016. Any informations?

Quotemaybe a Scribus script can give you the page numbers of pages tagged in a certain way

Where can i look for Scribus scripts? And what does pages tagged mean? I found nothing about tagging pages. Any hint/link?

Nermander

Quote from: Hamburger62 on April 20, 2019, 09:07:09 PM
It is not a one time job.
Ok, then I misunderstood your initial post.

QuoteIs pdftk server still alive? I used it with problems and tryed to contact the developer but got no answers. This was in mid 2016. Any informations?
I have no idea, I just googled for a command lina utility for PDF and then modified an example. I am trying to help you help yourself, I don't get paid enough to sit here to give you a complete finished solution.

QuoteAnd what does pages tagged mean? I found nothing about tagging pages. Any hint/link?

I was referring to what you wrote about pages with "special content". I assumed you meand that you put something (which I referred to as a "tag") on those pages to identify them.

Hamburger62

QuoteI am trying to help you help yourself, I don't get paid enough to sit here to give you a complete finished solution.

Thank you very much. I do not ask for support. I just ask for share experience or information. If you have no more you can´t share. This is ok - of course.

QuoteI assumed you meand that you put something (which I referred to as a "tag") on those pages to identify them.

Now it is just tagged in my mind. I need to find a way to tag this pages for automation. I will find a way.

Thank you a lot.
Have nice time

Nermander

There are many ways you could tag the pages, just placing an empty frame with a specially formatted name for example.

But there's also "Attributes" you can apply to objects. Maybe those are easier to identify in a Script.

I don't have much experience in Scribus scripts though.