Resizing document and all objects

Previous topic - Next topic

Cris70

Hi all, I am new to the forums. I registered because I have a problem with a document I recently created.
It's an advertising banner of 4 meters by 1 meter. I have the document ready, with all the images and texts correctly positioned.
But now the customer tells me that the banner has to be 6 meters wide, instead of 4.
Since the document contains just two rectangular objects side by side (one image frame and one text frame, same height, same vertical alignment), what I'd like to do is resize the entire document proportionally (both the page and the objects: frame sizes, image size, font size). So the final document should be 6 meters by 1.5 meters. My problem is that I cannot find an easy way of resizing the contained objects (besides doing it manually of course, which is not as easy as it would seem).
Is there an automated way to proportionally resize everything?

Thank you in advance
Cris

a.l.e

hi cris

if you are resizing everything proportionally, the printer should be able to just print it in the new size..

theoretically, you can resize everything by a given percent. this will probably work well with all the items that are not text (depending on how things are defined).

for all shapes (and the images if they are set to be fill the frame) you can simply:

- select all of them
- group them
- make the group keep the aspect ratio (click on the "chain" button next to the width in the properties palette)
- set the width to a multiple of itself: if the current size is 150mm and you want increase by 50%: [ 150mm * 1.5 ]
- ungroup

for all text frames and images that are not set to fill the frame:

- select all of them
- group them
- resize them with the mouse while holding down the ctrl and alt keys (you will want to press the modifier after having started the resizing).
- ungroup

this second step might or not work correctly. you will need to test it.

Cris70

Thank you a.l.e. for your suggestions!
I have a question though: doing as you suggest, what effect will it have on text? Will it just "stretch" the text or will it re-render the text with increased point size?
Anyway, I'll try your suggestions later when I'm home, and I'll report back.

Cris

a.l.e

it will increase the text size...

alt resizes the content and ctrl keeps the ratio...

you need to try it out on test documents and see if it works for you.

then i would try it on a copy of your document...

but, as said, if you're scaling the whole document proportionally, i would really tell the printer to do the job... eventually by providing images in higher resolution.

Cris70

Hi a.l.e.

Quote from: a.l.e on March 15, 2019, 10:09:38 AM
but, as said, if you're scaling the whole document proportionally, i would really tell the printer to do the job... eventually by providing images in higher resolution.

You're right, but I have to send the project to a printing service and they want the size of the document to match the printed size.

Cris

a.l.e

if you can manage using ghostscript directly, you can also try to resize the pdf.

this stackoverflow reply

https://stackoverflow.com/a/7507511/5239250

gives a possible command:

gs \
-o output.pdf \
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
-sPAPERSIZE=a4 \
-dFIXEDMEDIA \
-dPDFFitPage \
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 \
  input.pdf

Cris70

Thank you a.l.e. for all your help.
In the end, I had to redo the work from scratch for a few reasons, but I will save your suggestions for the future!

Cris