Automated workflow

Previous topic - Next topic

ghesling

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I'm not a graphic designer and our use case appears to be an edge case in desktop publishing.  We don't publish data, we format data to be published.  That is, every day we take weather, stocks, TV listings, etc. and put it into a client-specific template, review and approve the result and send the final copy to the client for publication.  Rinse and repeat.  We may have to manually tweak a few things (cut some copy, add a photo, etc.) but our process is so automated that each deliverable gets < 5 minutes of review.  The current system custom-built system is well past its use-by date and I'm hoping Scribus could manage, or at least be part of, this workflow.

I see Scribus has command-line scripts, and I could use another tool to orchestrate the overall process, but I don't know how (or if) Scribus can merge today's data with the client's template. 

Thanks in advance.

a.l.e

with the very few information you're giving, it's impossible to tell if scribus is the right solution for you.

likely not, but it's hard to say.

first, scribus is geared towards an interactive use.
automatic workflows are only an aftermath.

scribus does have python scripting with a rather big API, but it does not provide everything for managing the layout in an automatic way.
but scribus is open source, so you're welcome to add the commands you're missing. most of the time, adding new commands is straight forward, when you have have understood the basics (some standard boilerplate + copying the implementation from the GUI)

Gibbz

Ive been using scribus + python to generate price lists from a csv file.
It shouldn't be that hard to do what you want using the method.

You can see an example here:
https://www.haesemathematics.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTkvMDQvMDMvNmp1M3A0bGQ3b19vcmRlcmZvcm0ucGRmIl1d/orderform.pdf