insert files from iCloud in Mac

Previous topic - Next topic

josefcarel

Im trying the stable version 1.4.7 but also the version 1.5.2 and Im have the same problem in booth versions. I can insert files from iCloud or part of them are not visible. There is a workaround?
Thanks
Josef

RodneyLee

faster internet, you might make sure they are downloaded first to your computer

josefcarel

You mean I can not go directly to the files in ICloud?
:o

mnawij

I had the same problem when using Google Drive and Dropbox, not sure what the issue was, I do not remember, something about those files creating temporary files whenever they were accessed, even from other apps and those files were getting stored in a temporary memory location.  I have the same problems when trying to edit an image for over 30 minutes from the Cloud drives.  Some such tech talk my IT person told me. Have you tried setting the images to a lower preview setting, that helped me about half the time.  I wish I had better news, but I do not think that it is not a limitation in Scribus, InDesign also has problems with cloud drives (except adobes own) and file placement.  In my opinion it is more an OS problem and how cloud drives interact with the desktop file system.

mnawij

josefcarel

What is strange in my case, is that Scribus sees the files in iCloud, and only some are not visible. The proposal to download those files to the computer seems to me a missed advice. Why can not you work directly with the Cloud? I hope there is some advice about this issue.
Thanks
Josef

RodneyLee

I just tried from Dropbox, no problem, here is what I did
Open scribus, new file, place image marker, went to dropbox opened image I wanted and copied it (Ctrl C) the went to scribus and right click on image frame and paste from clipboard...

Nermander

Quote from: josefcarel on March 03, 2019, 03:15:27 PM
What is strange in my case, is that Scribus sees the files in iCloud, and only some are not visible. The proposal to download those files to the computer seems to me a missed advice. Why can not you work directly with the Cloud? I hope there is some advice about this issue.

The key here is that Scribus does not store any images in the SLA, it only stores references. This means each time you open a document Scribus loads the images from disk.

I am not sure how iCloud works, but if it does not cache the images on your disk, the images will have to be downloaded from the cloud each time you open a document. And depending on your internet connection that may take some time.

That is why you are given the suggestion to download the images to your disk. Then they will always be available when Scribus is looking for them.