How can I find where a font is being used in my document?

Previous topic - Next topic

apastuszak

When I do a PDF export, the export window offers to Embed Nimbus Sans L and Nimbus Sans L Bold.  As far as I know, I did not use these in my document.  Is there a way to find where these fonts are being used in the document?

GarryP

There's no easy way of seeing where fonts are used but you can try this trick.

* In "File -> Document Properties..." go to "Fonts" then scroll to a font you want to check for.
* Uncheck the "Use Font" icon for that font.
* Press "OK".
* Got to "Windows -> Preflight Verifier".

All of the frames which use the font you've told Scribus not to use should show an error saying "Glyphs mssing".

Once you've sorted things out don't forget to go back to "Fonts" and allow the font to be used again.

It's not perfect but it should do what you need.

Nermander

Scribus consider fonts "in use" even if there is no text in the document using those fonts. The problem usually is a default font setting that is overridden everywhere in the document. Check the Documents settings and the Tools tab for default fonts.

Also check unused styles (especially the Default styles).

apastuszak

I opened up my SLA file in gedit and did a search font name.  I found a bunch of grouped items that I had deleted, but for some reason were still in the document.  I manually deleted them and everything seems to be OK now.

GarryP

I'm glad you've managed to fix the issue but it shows that there could be a problem with deleting objects. I don't suppose you could replicate it could you? If so it would be a good one to raise a Mantis ticket for.

apastuszak

I'm about to start work on a file, so I could see if the problem comes back.

I think what happened was, that I pasted a grouped object INSIDE a text box.  Rather than deleting the text box, I chose to try and salvage the situation.

GarryP

Ah, I see. I've never trusted inline objects for some reason.

In a way I hope you don't get the same problem again.

wb8nbs

Quote from: apastuszak on July 07, 2014, 11:56:56 PM
I opened up my SLA file in gedit and did a search font name.  I found a bunch of grouped items that I had deleted, but for some reason were still in the document.  I manually deleted them and everything seems to be OK now.
I was getting an annoying "document contains some fonts that are not installed" every time I loaded my document. Editing the SLA file fixed it for me, found the mention of the missing font and changed it to Arial Regular.  Thanks for the tip.