missing glyphs

Previous topic - Next topic

dztypesetter

I'm trying to use characters from the font "Noto Music Regular".  The font is loaded, and appears in the font menu in Story Editor.  The glyph that I want is unicode 0x1D1AA, and is called "musical symbol combining down bow".  I clicked "Insert->Insert Glyph", and in the Character Plette dialog, I clicked "Search" to bring up the Unicode Search dialog.  I entered "down bow", and the glyph I want pops up.  I insert it, making sure the inserted character is set to the correct font.

It appears in the doucment as an open square--I figured that just meant there was no screen rendering of that font.  But when I export to PDf, it complains about a missing glyph, and if I click "ignore errors" it does not show up at all in the PDF output.

What am I missing?  Is there a way to get Scribus to use these glyphs?

-DZ

a.l.e

the story editor does not matter.

you have to check if the font is in file > preferences > fonts...

dztypesetter

OK, I checked in File -> Preferences -> Fonts, and the font is there, with the box "use font" checked.
As a sanity check, I can use the same font in Libreoffice, and it displays the correct glyphs.

a.l.e

googling for "noto music regular" did not give me any result...

dztypesetter

Actually that wikipedia article seems to be a bit out of date.  It does not include the Music typeface.  It's one of the newer members of the NoTo font family.  Here's a link to it in the git repository:
  https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/blob/master/hinted/NotoMusic-Regular.ttf

But regardless, I do have the ttf file on my system, and Scribus is apparently seeing it, and the glyphs work with other software.  So why won't Scribus render these characters?

a.l.e

now that all the information is available... i could give it a try.

i did not know that there is such a "unicode seach" tool and i could not get it to work.

but if i try to find the 0x1D1AA character in the glyphs browser i do find it and i can insert it.

it shows up like in the screenshot (i love music but i only know basic notation... so i really don't know if it's the right sign... sorry!)

p.s.: can it be that the "down bow" is part of "composed signs"?

[attachment deleted by admin]

dztypesetter

Well, that's hopeful.  Thanks for trying it out.  The symbol on the top right is the correct one.  Now I just need to figure out why it doesn't work for me!

Where is the "glyph browser"?  The only way I could find to insert a unicode character was through
Story Editor -> Insert -> Insert Glyph... that brings up the "Character Palette", then click the search icon, that brings up "Unicode Search".  Then entering either "1D1AA" or "down bow" brings up the glyph, and puts it in the character palette, from where I can then insert it.  But it doesn't display the glyph.

If I click the first icon in Character Palette, which is labeled "Show/Hide Enhanced Palette", it brings up something that I might describe as a glyph browser (though it doesn't call itself that).  There's a place to type the unicode for a glyph to insert, but it only allows entering 4 hex digits.

Any idea what might be wrong?

(I don't know what "composed signs" is.)

a.l.e

in the glyph window, just click on the first icon, left of the search one...

and, please, get comfortable with the text frame edit  modus and the windows > properties palette...

p.s.: composed sign are signs like ^, which is supposed to be composed with vocals (as in ô)

dztypesetter

> in the glyph window, just click on the first icon, left of the search one...

OK, that's what I did, as I described, unless I'm completely not understanding what the "glyph window" is.  But, as I said, it only allows entering a 4-hex-digit unicode.  But the one I'm after is 5 hex digits.

> and, please, get comfortable with the text frame edit  modus and the windows > properties palette...

I believe I am comfortable with this, but unless I'm completely missing something, there is no way to insert a glyph this way other than typing its keyboard character.  So for a glyph that has no keyboard character, as the one I'm talking about, there seems to be no way to do it, without going through the Story Editor.  Am I missing something??

utnik

hi dztypesetter

Quote from: dztypesetter on February 13, 2019, 02:30:29 AM...as I said, it only allows entering a 4-hex-digit unicode.  But the one I'm after is 5 hex digits.

i've just checked it here – and you're right, in scribus1.4.7 there's no way to insert more than four digits. but with scribus 1.5.4 it works.

QuoteSo for a glyph that has no keyboard character, as the one I'm talking about, there seems to be no way to do it, without going through the Story Editor.  Am I missing something??

you have the same 'insert' menu while editing directly in the text frame...

utnik

a.l.e

you don't need to enter any code.

just visually browse the available glyphs and double click on the one you want to insert.
a tooltip did tell me which character has the unicode you were looking for. but you will not need it, since you recognize it visually.

you can drag and drop glyphs to the main "insert glyph" window to have a faster access to specific ones.

dztypesetter

When I select the Noto Music Regular font from the menu in the glyph browser (assuming I'm looking at the right window), I see a few music-related glyphs in the first row (though not the one I need), followed by a couple of pages of solid black squares. When I point at these squares, the tool tip shows me a unicode value, but the largest one is something like D245.  So, only 4 hex digits.  The one I'm looking for is 1D1AA, which does not appear in that list (either visually, or by unicode value).  When I try to type 1D1AA in the "Insert Code" box, it truncates after 4 digits.

I am rather mystified, since clearly you've been able to access the glyph I need, but I cannot!  Could it be a difference in Scribus version?  I'm using the version currently in Debian Testing, which is 1.4.7.  Or maybe it's a difference in version of the font--which would make it not a Scribus issue.  I'm also using the version of Noto fonts that are packaged in Debian Testing.  So if there's nothing that I'm clearly doing wrong in Scribus, I'll have to try downloading the fonts from the source and see what happens.

a.l.e

you're right scribus 1.4 is displaying black squares and does not insert the glyphs in the text.

no idea why it does so. you can open a ticket in https://bugs.scribus.net but it will take some time until you'll get the new version packaged for debian.
i'm not sure either if the issue can be fixed in 1.4... you might want to try and see what jean replies...

i have been using the development version of scribus, and there i get the glyph to show correctly.

it's up to you, to decide if you want to give the development version of scribus a try...

dztypesetter

Ah, OK.  Maybe not the answer I'd hoped for  :(   ... but it's good know it's just me!

Since whatever the problem is seems to be fixed in the devel version, maybe it's redundant to file a bug report.  I can just live without this font until the next version comes out.

Thanks for your help.

-David