Export to PDF, problems with images in PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrieJ

I'm new to Scribus and I have created a magazine. But when I want to save a PDF (export --> save as PDF)
I have problems with two PDF-images that I used in the magazine, full page in two frames.
The moment I make my choise I receive an answer that the document cannot be saved for the images are
too small (less than 144 DPI, rsolution is only 109 x 109 DPI.
The two PDF on my PC are in fact about 3 MB so where it goes wrong?
Thanks.

HarrieJ

[attachment deleted by admin]

mnawij

Hi HarrieJ,

File size does not always correlate to correct resolution.  The only way to be sure is to use a .pdf pre-flight software to verify the resolution of the original pdf files before their placement into Scribus.  The problem might not be with Scribus at all...  If you do not mind uploading the original pdf's, I can run them through acrobat professionals preflight as well as enfocus' pitstop editor if you do not have access to preflight software, it will not be until Tuesday when I return to work though.

Cheers!

mnawij

HarrieJ

Hello mnawij,

Thanks for your help. I sure don't mind to upload the two pictures. They are two advertisements that should be placed full page in our club magazine.
Can I attach them to a message to your emaildress that I find at the leftside of your answer?
I will gladly wait until wednesday, no problem.

HarrieJ

mnawij

HarrieJ,

Your choice, you upload them to the post, someone else might be able to preflight them for you before I can on Tuesday or you can email me, either way is fine.  Also if you could post which version of Scribus you are using and on what operating system. Thanks!

mnawij

Nermander

Quote from: HarrieJ on January 05, 2019, 07:54:08 PM
The moment I make my choise I receive an answer that the document cannot be saved for the images are
too small (less than 144 DPI, rsolution is only 109 x 109 DPI.

What you get is a warning, you can ignore it to generate the PDF.

Resolution is a function of the number of pixels verus the printed size.

The warning says the image is 109 DPI, this could be an 109x109 pixels image printed as 1x1 inch, or it could be a 1090x1090 pixels image printed as 10x10 inches. Or something in between.

An image that is 1090x1090 pixels and uncompressed bitmap would become about 3,5 MB with 3 bytes per pixels (24 bit RGB).

So open the image in an image editor or viewer and check how many pixels high and wide it is.

HarrieJ

Hi Nermander and Mnawij,

It is a warning I can't ignore. The PDF of the magazine is simply not made after this message.
I only can open the pictures in Acrobat reader and don't see how many pixels really are there.
Open in Acrobat Reader I have these properties: see attachment

I tried to do what Mnawij suggested and enclose the two pictures. Sadly this did't work because the max size for an attachment is 2MB and mine are about 3.6 each.
Is there a way to send you these PDF's?

I use Scribus 1.4.7 on Windows 10.

HarrieJ

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

Quote from: HarrieJ on January 06, 2019, 12:06:51 AM
It is a warning I can't ignore. The PDF of the magazine is simply not made after this message.
Even if you click the buttojn in the bottom right corner that says (in the English version) Ignore errors?

Open in Acrobat Reader I have these properties: see attachment

Ah, it is an Indesign drawing, I honestly don't know how well Scribus supports these in an image frame (or even at all). Are you sure the file is not named with an incorrect suffix? (Since the image seems to import.)

HarrieJ

Hello Nermander and Mnawij,

When I  click ignore, the  savings starts but comes with "not possible to save while picture .....pdf could not be loaded".

I suppose both pictures are made using InDesign or Photoshop. I asked one of the advertisers to sent the same picture in .JPG. He did...problem solved. Now I try the other too. Hopefully he has his advertisement also in JPG.

Stange: I have also placed a picture in PDF, also made Indesign but it only is 4 x 5 inch, so quarter of a page. It gives the same warning (resolution smaller than 144 dpi, current resolution 116 x 116 dpi) when I export to PDF but when I "ignore" the pdf is made even so and the picture is on the page.

I'm going to look for my "ignore" button and place the pictures in JPG for the magazine has to go to our members in two weeks. Go for the answers later when I have some more time.

Thanks.

HarrieJ