Tables - How do you use them

Previous topic - Next topic

acestu

Hi,

I can't find any info on Tables, all I can do is create one ie number of rows and number of columns, but how do you add text to the separate cells, If I double click nothing happens.

thanks
Stuart

utnik

hi stuart

scribus tables aren't very mature.
with scribus 1.5.x things are better then with 1.4.x – but both work in some way.

• with 1.4.x you need to press the 'alt' key while double clicking
  • with 1.5.x just double click...
utnik

acestu

Hi Utnik,

Double clicking does nothing, I have decided to try a different way now by just creating several text boxes but I can't find a way of aligning them all Horizontally as they are all slightly different levels because there is no snap.

thanks
Stuart

utnik

hi stuart

you don't tell if you're working with 1.5.x or 1.4.x.

• with 1.5 a double click should work. (at least it does here...) and you have an option to 'snap to items'.
  • with 1.4 you need the 'alt' key (as i wrote before).
  • in both versions you have snapping options to a grid or to guides.
utnik

dragonfly

Here is an experiment to play with ..

In Scribus insert a renderframe.

Go here ..  https://www.tablesgenerator.com/ to generate a sample TeX table.

Paste code into Scribus renderframe.

Preview table.

acestu

Hi guys,

I don't want to sound ungrateful but Scribus seems to be great for hobbyists but it seems that it isn't quite there yet for the bigger jobs.

Thanks for trying
Stuart

a.l.e

you're right stuart, scribus is not ready for many types of layouts.

of course, you can achieve (almost?) every result with scribus, but some of them are still too cumbersome with scribus.

on the other side, for many other types of layouts scribus does work well (enough).

before jumping on the boat, check if scribus can (easily) accomplish what is important to you, and make sure that there are workarounds for every need you have.
if it's not the case, go and look for a different solution. we won't be jealous!

if tables are so important to you, scribus is not a tool that will make you happy.
(for all the others: of course there are workaround for putting tabular data in a scribus layout... the forums are full with examples, how you can achieve it...)

acestu

Hi a.l.e.,

I have the greatest respect for the guys that are developing scribus, any totally FREE software is always a good thing, to be honest I am still using it as there is as you say workarounds, it just takes longer, but if you are making templates to make things faster in the long run then lets get on with it, any added features in the future will be a Bonus.

cheers
Stuart