Convert everything to 100% black in exported PDF?

Previous topic - Next topic

onefish

Total noob, sorry. I have done up some very simple black and white files in scribus and sent off to the printer to have a foil hot stamp made and a print run done. They've come back to me saying that the black is CMYK and will not work. There are images in image frames, and text. All are black (no colour anywhere). Although there is a bit of softening on the edges of images when zoomed way in to pixel level (grayscale fades I guess). Is there a simple way to re-export the files as 100% black instead of CMYK?

Thanks for your help  :)

onefish

Help.....please......

I have converted the images to vector so have overcome the soft raster edges issue, one problem solved. But I still need to export to PDF with 100% black (non-CMYK). Any ideas?

dragonfly

I cannot answer your question since I have no experience as yet with PDF colour profiles.

However since you appear to have an urgent question (as yet unanswered), from what I read you can use external tool ImageMagick to convert CYMK to RGB.

http://www.ocsmag.com/2015/07/04/script-fu-converting-pdfs-to-pretty-previews-with-imagemagick/

Perhaps there is an easier Scribus approach but ImageMagick is what I would try in the interim until you get an answer.

onefish

Thanks Dragonfly,

I think the problem might be somewhere in Scribus pdf export settings. Everything in the Scribus files in C=0, Y=0, M=0, K=100. But when I export to PDF and select a black line (in Foxit PhantomPDF) it's showing:

Hue: 14
Sat: 19
Lum: 20
Red: 22
Green: 20
Blue: 19

onefish

hmm... I think I have overcome the immediate problem by selecting "Grayscale" under the pdf export "Color" tab. This seams to have exported true black. However, this has also raised another question in my mind. What if I want to use Scribus to create a document for printing that contains colour and 100%k blacks? I can't use grayscale, and the "Printer" option turns the black to something other than 100%k even though that is not the colour I have used for objects in the Scribus file.

Should Scribus just not be used for professional print artwork? Or am I missing something?

utnik

hi onefish

Quote from: onefish on November 20, 2018, 04:38:13 AM...What if I want to use Scribus to create a document for printing that contains colour and 100%k blacks?

try 'image effects' → 'grayscale' for the black and white pictures.

utnik