Need help getting hanging indents under bullet points to align

Previous topic - Next topic

craigomez

I have been struggling with getting the hanging indent settings for bullet points to work. I am on version 1.5.4.

Essentially, I want to be able to have the text on all lines of a bullet point to align left. The default seems to be for all lines after the first to align with the bullet point, rather than the line of text above it.

I can manually adjust things to look lined up, but it's not a good solution. How can this be done? Thanks!

dragonfly

By coincidence I am playing around with textframe properties in some experiments and I can ...
create a blank textframe
inject some sample text
insert character > bullet

and this gives the format you want (text on line 2 and after aligned left under bullet).

Are you inserting bullets in a different manner?

[Later Edit]
My apologies. After a second read of your post, I see that what I have is exactly what you report.
Text not aligned under the [bullet plus space].
I will play around further.

dragonfly

When I reply to these posts I learn something new every time.

I made a false start but after some more searching I found this script.

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Bullets_and_numbered_lists

I copied the dated (deprecated?) python script and placed in /usr/share/scribus-trunk/scripts/

Your scripts may be in a different path.

Restarted Scribus, selected a paragraph in a textframe, Scripter > Scribus Scripts > Bullets
and a popup menu appears giving options.

The indented text is nicely aligned.

There might be another native approach but if there is one it is not too intuitive.

This old script at least works.

a.l.e

you can easily create an hanging indent in the main Scribus UI, but you have little control on the distances.

or you can create a "list" style and define its indent in a more controlled way.

don't forget to add a tab, since scribus does  "snap" to the indents.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

moderation warning:

craiggomez, if you're a legit user, you're account has been hacked and a spammy footer was added.

since your questions seem to be ok, i've left them around... but i had to remove your account to avoid further dammages to this forum.
if you need an account, just create a new one.

readingtype

I quite often 'overthink' problems in Scribus. Attached is a screenshot showing what you need to do to get auto-indented continuation lines from Scribus' automatic list feature. This is 1.5.5 on Windows 10. Use the distance from text and auto-indent controls rather than setting tabs or indents as you would for a  paragraph without list markers.

[attachment deleted by admin]