Scribus > General Discussion

Scribus Very Slow

(1/4) > >>

Farland:
So I am working on a book.  It is up to about 200 pages and Scribus is killing me with the slowness.  Saving takes like 5 mins, and even scrolling to the next page takes like 30 secs.  It isn't my computer (plenty of RAM and power), and as far as linked text frames go, my chapters are separated; I am linking about 20-30 pages of text in each chapter.  Is there a way to get Scribus to speed up.  This is making my project take much longer than it should.

dragonfly:
It will help to receive ideas if you clarify:

(1) PC you are using (Windows/Mac/Linux).
(2) Scribus version
(3) Are you writing your content directly into Scribus using native text editors or using external tools to pre-process content and import content?
(4) Large images embedded?
(5) Is Scribus still slow if you unlink textframes within any chapter?

Musing .. it would be a nice feature if Scribus could offer document statistics to diagnose why compilation is slow.

a.l.e:
200 pages is a lot for scribus.

chains of 20 to 30 pages are also rather long.

without further details, i would suggest to split the document in 50 pages sections and try to keep the chains at 10 to 15 pages...

but without seeing the file or having more details it's hard to say....

dragonfly:
If you search the forum there are also further tips ...

http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,1834.msg8067.html

Farland:

--- Quote from: dragonfly on November 10, 2018, 09:08:17 pm ---It will help to receive ideas if you clarify:

(1) PC you are using (Windows/Mac/Linux).
(2) Scribus version
(3) Are you writing your content directly into Scribus using native text editors or using external tools to pre-process content and import content?
(4) Large images embedded?
(5) Is Scribus still slow if you unlink textframes within any chapter?

Musing .. it would be a nice feature if Scribus could offer document statistics to diagnose why compilation is slow.

--- End quote ---

1. Windows 10,  Intel Core i7 (6th Gen) 6700HQ / 2.6 GHz, quad core, 16 GB RAM, SSD. Plenty of power.
2. 1.5.4
3. I write in MS Word and copy and paste into the story editor then format.
4. Tons of 300 dpi TIFF images in the file.  The images are stored on the SSD, which is the main drive.
5. I haven't tried.  The chapter I just started I am only linking about 5 pages and then restarting a new text chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version