Author Topic: Parallel text for a bilingual book  (Read 72 times)

princemoga

• Scribus User
Parallel text for a bilingual book
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:05:27 pm »
Hi. I'm new to formatting and editing.

I have a question, and I've looked everywhere, in this forum, in the subreddit, all across Google, and I haven't found the answer to my question. It should be an easy one:

I'm translating a book and I want to format it like a typical academic translation, with the original text on the right -even pages- and the translated text on the left -odd pages-. It's supposed to be simple enough, but I'm losing my mind over trying to figure it out. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance.

a.l.e

• Global Moderator
    • the graphics lab
Re: Parallel text for a bilingual book
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:03:45 am »
please, can we stop this political correcct madness with the list of places you've looked everywhere?
really, you've looked all across the google? i mean, they have information to keep you busy for the next couple milions of years...

you have a question, ask it!

now, about the topic.
thre is no way in scribus for syncing two flows of text.
but you can, of course, but a chain of the in english on the odd pages and a chain of text in french on the even pages.
you will probably have to break the chains from time to time, to sync the two flows.

does it help?

jack_cat

• Scribus User
Re: Parallel text for a bilingual book
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 06:28:14 pm »
Given that all of the left pages have a text box linked to the preceding and following left pages, and the same for the right pages in the other language, all you do to sync the two flows is, whichever language is running ahead of the other one because of using fewer words or characters, is pull the bottom of that text box up with the mouse, using the red handle at the bottom of the box, so that the text overflow is forced to the next page, and it should be easy to have at least the first paragraph across the top of the two pages synced. Then, within the page, if one language is running ahead of the other, a few extra line breaks in the shorter file should sync the beginnings of subsequent paragraphs down the page. Did I understand the question right? That's how I would do it.