Somehow I seems to have locked everything.

Previous topic - Next topic

mihxil

I started to try out scribus today. I was able to make a few layers. Now however I seem to have entered somehow a 'readonly' mode, and most icons the properties windows seems to be grayed out all the time. It is driving me crazy. I can insert new objects via the menu, but more than one action seems to be impossible.

I'm using 1.5.4 on mac. Can I somewhere see some log-file or so? Perhaps that would help me understand what's going wrong and what I should change to get things in working order again,  because I'm starting to think that something is really broken in the sla-file.  Restarting the application doesn't help.

dragonfly

Are you able to try .. Windows > Preflight Verifier?

Failing that idea can you launch a new document?

mihxil

Quote from: dragonfly on September 09, 2018, 09:26:38 PM
Are you able to try .. Windows > Preflight Verifier?

Failing that idea can you launch a new document?
Yes, I can. The Preflight Verifier reports that 'no problems are found'. I can also create a new document, and then it seems to work as before, but that would mean that I'll have to do everything again. Even the backups from the past hours have the same problem, and seem to be basically unusable.

dragonfly

My hunch .. could be either file permissions problem or the *.sla files have become corrupted.
I would try ..
(a) inspecting properties of *.sla file (user permissions?)
(b) opening the *.sla file in an XML editor and validating it.
I have used XMLCopyEditor to inspect *.sla files.

Last resort .. reinstall Scribus if you have just started today.

Basically retrace steps.

mihxil

Quote from: dragonfly on September 09, 2018, 09:50:57 PM
My hunch .. could be either file permissions problem or the *.sla files have become corrupted.
I would try ..
(a) inspecting properties of *.sla file (user permissions?)
(b) opening the *.sla file in an XML editor and validating it.
I have used XMLCopyEditor to inspect *.sla files.

Last resort .. reinstall Scribus if you have just started today.

Basically retrace steps.
I already tried simply copying the file, to no avail. I can make some changes to the file, like adding a new layer (which gets broken then too). Also I ran xmllint which didn't report any xml problems with the file.

I'll try reinstalling but I would be surprised if that would make a difference, since new files seem to work, and in any case I may hope that no changes are made to the application itself  when I'm only using it.

I'm still not ruling out that I simply don't understand something. In other words what does it _mean_ if all tools are grayed out? What should one normally do in such a situation?  Is it a credible situtation that I can via the Menu  create (e.g.) a line -> Insert -> Line, but not via the tool-bar, nor can I then edit any properties of it?

mihxil

I just installed the nightly build of today. In that, it seems to work again, so it seems that some bug related to this was fixed lately?

mihxil

Quote from: mihxil on September 09, 2018, 10:19:55 PM
I just installed the nightly build of today. In that, it seems to work again, so it seems that some bug related to this was fixed lately?

Ok, I finally figured it out. It was 'preview mode' which I had accidentally toggled.  The behaviour I saw is consistent with that, upgrading to nightly build just also caused to forget this mode.

I'd like to report it as a bug then that this preview mode seems to me a bit inconsistent. Should I be able to insert object in this mode or not?

dragonfly

Well spotted.  I'm just a user and I don't know where to post bugs.
Hopefully a senior member will pick this up.

a.l.e

a.l.e

p.s.: personally, i have been fighting for making by default the document editable in preview mode... it used to be that way and it has been changed for reasons that are not related to page layouting...

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12464

and, the fact that preview mode gets lost on a restart of scribus (not an update) is a request i've made... for cases like yours : - )

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15308

ciao
a.l.e

mihxil

Quote from: a.l.e on September 10, 2018, 08:16:15 AM

and, the fact that preview mode gets lost on a restart of scribus (not an update) is a request i've made... for cases like yours : - )

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15308

Thanks a lot. I agree with this bug, and I must say that I was a bit baffled too by the fact that preview-mode was stored in the sla (though I supposed that it could have been some config-file in ~ or so too) I'm glad it will be fixed.