Scribusoid

Author Topic: Resize multiple text frames simultaneously  (Read 300 times)

AliasHannibal

• Scribus User
Resize multiple text frames simultaneously
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
As a regular user of Scribus (I've typeset several books, and designed book covers, etc), I sometimes realize that I need to resize several text frames after I've created the document.

To do this I have to go to each frame and copy and paste (or type, but that's slower) the exact measures for the text frames. When I need to do this for a whole book (more than let's say 30 pages, but I often work with books of more than 200 pages), it is a hopeless job that takes forever. And since it could be automated, I wonder if there's a better way to do this.

I can create new documents and let Scribus automatically create text frames for me, but if I've already worked on several other features in this document, this becomes less attractive as an option.

If I try and zoom out and select all the text frames, I have found that the text frames behave erratically. Sometimes they resize unevenly, or in proportion to each other. This is not what I want. I want to change all of them at the same time to the same measurements.

Is there any other way to change the size simultaneously? Thanks in advance.

Nermander

Re: Resize multiple text frames simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:58:02 pm »
I'd say the best way is probably to write a script for it.

I don't think it would be very hard to write a script that does "Every frame with these measures shall be changed to this size". A loop and a couple of if statements.

AliasHannibal

• Scribus User
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.

That would be great. I know nothing about how to do that. Do you?

Nermander

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 08:54:23 pm »
I have not yet bothered to learn the Scribus scripter, but I think there is already a sample script out there that iterates through all text frames in the document. I would think it is not very complicated to adjust it with a few if statements, at least if you know a little about programming.

AliasHannibal

• Scribus User
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 09:02:40 pm »
Sorry. I don't. I am hopeless with any sort of programming. But I really appreciate you guiding me in the right direction. Thanks.