New user impressions

Previous topic - Next topic

valkana

Hi,

I just started looking into Scribus and I want to give you some first impressions/ideas about the UI from a new user's perspective.

W7x64, 1.5.4.

My first problem was, that guides were behind objects. I looked through the options but did not understand that the "Placement" box for the guides is to set foreground/background - I had to search the forum to explain that to me. Maybe add a label above this box, to explain that the box is to set foreground -> background.

Next (minor) issue is incrementing and decrementing values like font size via clicking on the icon in front of the edit field and moving the mouse left/right (or up/down) to change the values like in 3DS Max or PS is not possible. Mousewheel works, which is nice.

I did not find an option to put the ruler into percentage mode. How can I do that? Why is it not possible to change the ruler units by right clicking it with a context menu (I saw this box at the bottom right to change units, but no percent).

Removing or editing guides is non-intuitive. They have no context menu, nor do they react on any ctrl/alt/shift+left/right click. You actually have to right-click somewhere else and then you can edit them - why no context menu when right-clicking them, or make them deleteable by ctrl/alt/shit+click.

Maybe make the "guide manager" accessible via the Insert menu too.

Since I cannot change the ruler to percentage, how can I add a guide at a certain percentage (without having to open the calculator)?

It says text properties can be opened with F3. Does not work, despite F2 for general properties does work.

Go to the Preferences and change the two font sizes for the UI/menus to 11pt then switch to german UI. You can see that the left colum with all the categories is quite a bit smaller than with the english US UI and you cannot read anything anymore without resizing the whole window.

Greetings and thank you for developing Scribus

Nermander

Quote from: valkana on May 11, 2018, 04:37:52 PM
I did not find an option to put the ruler into percentage mode. How can I do that? Why is it not possible to change the ruler units by right clicking it with a context menu (I saw this box at the bottom right to change units, but no percent).

Percent of what? Scribus is for page layout, a page always has physical dimensions (mm, inches etc). And Scribus also supports different pages having different dimensions. So I think % on the ruler would not be very useful.

Since I cannot change the ruler to percentage, how can I add a guide at a certain percentage (without having to open the calculator)?

One of the very nice features of Scribus is that in any field where you enter a number, you can also enter a mathematic expression. So you can write "0.5*<page width>" and do not need to bring out your calculator.

valkana

Quote from: Nermander on May 12, 2018, 01:19:51 PM
Quote from: valkana on May 11, 2018, 04:37:52 PM

Percent of what? Scribus is for page layout, a page always has physical dimensions (mm, inches etc). And Scribus also supports different pages having different dimensions. So I think % on the ruler would not be very useful.

Percent of the size of the current page you have selected.