Development > Features

Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#

(1/14) > >>

jack_cat:
Being my first post, I put this in the general discussion before I realized I should have put it here in "features". Sorry.
So, this is my second post, same as the first.

I am working on a book with many end-notes. Scribus is generally lame in processing footnotes / endnotes AFAIK.
A very useful feature which would get us half-way there, and probably not need much programming time (??), would be

Insert > Character > Footnote Number
All this would do is put a superscript number in the text. Then, when another footnote is added ahead of it,
the numbers would update automatically throughout the file in ALL text boxes. Shouldn't be much tougher than page numbers to implement. That would certainly save re-numbering 75 superscript footnote marks in the main text every time I stick another one in!!! Yaaahhggg!!! (Tears out handfuls of hair...) I sure would like to be able to mark the end note numbers in the text as I go, instead of going back and doing it after I'm sure (ha!) that the file is finished (Murphy's law: right after I do that I will make another change. Anyway, the after-the-file-is-finished method causes text box overflows and more formatting work.)

For extra bells and whistles, the function could output a report of all footnotes and their page numbers, a snippet of x characters of text just before the mark, and any other useful info (?). It might even output this report to an SLA file template which could become the end-notes section. (I'm dreaming...?)

Of course, the end-note counting function would also have to be able to deal with moving the sequence of the text boxes around in revising the material, cutting a text box out and re-pasting it later in the Chapter, or dragging it from one page to another with the mouse. Therefore the end-note counting engine would have to verify the absolute position of the text box in the file as it will be read, and not be based on the sequential numbers of the text boxes in the order they are created. 

Because the work I am doing is graphics-heavy, I use a separate file for each Chapter, as the file cludges down after about 50 pages. If I were not doing this, I would want to also be able to define sections in which the footnote count could be started afresh for each Chapter.

While I'm at it: another possible, and similar, routine, would be to highlight a word in the text and click:
Insert > Character (?) > Index reference.
Then a report would output all index references with their page numbers and maybe a text snippet of x characters, to a separate file, to be processed into an Index.

I wouldn't mind doing the extra work of creating the notes and index as separate files, if these useful features were present. By the way, I am composing text directly in Scribus as the text and graphics are so closely related, and so it is pointless for me to compose text in OO and then import it. The graphics, of course, require a separate work flow and then I import them.

Thanks for all the great help, everybody. Scribus is a great tool, I am very happy with it.

a.l.e:
hi jack,

the development version 1.5 does have footnotes and endnotes.

they are still an unstable feature but they are in tthere!

if you want to test them, you can download scribus 1.5 from the scribus download page and install it alongside the stable version.

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: it's not so important in which category you post... this is no high traffic forum... but having two times the same topic is a bit of awkward, so i deleted your other post : - )

jack_cat:
Thanks a.l.e.

All of my many files (accumulated last 3 years) are made with 1.4.6, and I understand that 1.5 uses a new file format not backwardly-compatible; this and the report that the footnote functions are still incomplete has discouraged me from making an experiment. What I have been able to find and read on the new version shows only a footnote function, in which the footnote # is directly tied to a linked footnote text box at the bottom of the page, and I find nothing about end notes - if you can point me to the documentation on end notes it would at least be informative, thanks.

In any case, my end notes will of necessity be in a different .sla file in assembling my final draft, because of the main chapters being so graphics-heavy that each must be a separate file. To make an assembled draft, I collate the PDF files which I export. Therefore, a function which produces linked end notes in the same file does not promise to be terribly useful for my purpose, as I would have to cut them out and move them to the back of the book by putting them in a separate file.

I had the same graphics-heavy cludge factor when I tried to do an early version in OO, which is why I searched for and found Scribus when friends told me only InDesign or Quark would do the job; I was disappointed but not terribly surprised to find the same memory issue with Scribus, even with a relatively new computer with what used to be an unimaginable amount of memory. It seems to me that the developers (bless their little open source volunteer hearts doing such a wonderful job, and I don't complain, merely comment on my findings) need to stay aware that a Scribus project such as mine - which I naively thought that I could do with a word processor in the beginning - must involve a number of different .sla files which there is no way to link together dynamically, because of the memory issues. Yet I do require end notes - which at this time, AFAICT, can only be done with individually written and painfully re-numbered individual super-script numbers in the text, and the end notes themselves simply written in another file. I don't have a problem with re-numbering the notes in the end-note file on revision, because they are all just one-line references, with the numbers at the beginning of the line; although it is a pain, it can be done in a relatively short time. I did complete TOC, end notes, bibliography and index on an early draft, all non-dynamically by hand, and I can do it again, but it takes two or three days.

The periodic (ahem, I know I ought to be able to do it just once, but I revise a lot after I think I'm done) re-numbering of the super-script numbers embedded in the text, however, is a royal pain, like hunting rats on the screen, with the added fact that it is very easy to get careless and lose their font attributes in doing so, whether on the main screen or in the story editor. The footnote function in 1.5 as far as I have read the documentation so far, appears to be based on some concept which is (a) so complex as to be a programming challenge, (b) doesn't account for the necessary multi-file work flow, and (c) isn't pointed toward the simple and direct function which I propose, which I believe (although I never programmed anything that worked, myself) should be almost as simple to implement as the page number function (I was amused to find the funky-but-nifty workaround for using the page numb function to number 10-to-a-page tickets), and if I could find a way to just get any kind of consecutively-numbered "element" that I could adapt for my purpose, I would be happy!!!!!!

!!!!! Yes, I would. Just a simple self-updating numbering function, no other dynamic linking required.

I got as far as Document-Setup > Document Item Attributes > Name: Endnote > Type: Integer, and couldn't figure out how I could go any farther - if this is indeed a possible way to get consecutively-numbered dynamically updated number sequences into the text, please tell me how to do it.

Thanks very much! Back to work now!
jc

jack_cat:
a.l.e. :
You wrote in another thread:

"if you can put up a list of features you would like to have in master pages, i can check what i can do with a python script...
"

Can you make a python script to do dynamic numbers such as I proposed above ? ? ? just dreaming out loud...
thanks
by the way I think the master document idea is wonderful but that's another story...
jc

a.l.e:
Footnotes: the menu entry is called "insert foot/end note"...

As said, I don't use it myself, even if I must have tested it at sometimes in the past.
Here is a hint: I think that you have to first create a note style to be able to create end notes.

The feature -- as programmed in Scribus -- is very powerful but -- if i recall correctly -- needs some more work for usability and for stability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version