WARNINGS, CAUTIONS & NOTES (WCA)

Previous topic - Next topic

Johny_Rocket

I am a tech data writer for a lighting company. I have been bringing their instruction sheets up to speed. Each sheet will have one or a multitude of WCA statements. For example:
WARNING
THIS FIXTURE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR OUTDOOR INSTALLATION. INSTALLATION OF THIS FIXTURE
OUTDOORS WILL INCREASE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK AND PERSONAL INJURY.
They all have a slightly different orientation from the instructional text. In addition many of them are applicable to multiple installation instructions. My question is as follows. Should I make them each their own text box [center oriented] and, if I do that, is there a way to collect them in a central repository or should I make a WCA document where I can copy and paste them into other documents as necessary.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jonathan

a.l.e

yes, you should probable a frame for the warning.

and if you put the frames in the scrapbook (you can have multiple scrapbook... they are directories...) you can them pull the warnings from there...

Johny_Rocket

Karma,
Thank you very much. What you say makes perfect sense.

Anyone else have something different?

dragonfly

From my current workflow I am evolving I would use an external editor in a toolchain with Scribus as the last link in the chain.

Atom is my choice. https://atom.io/

Write your warnings posters as separate files with extension *.md

You can add conventional css styles.

You can concatenate markdown files where needed. Use the @import command to import files or objects.

Use Markdown Preview Enhanced package in Atom.

Export as image or pdf and import into Scribus frame.

There is a learning curve in understanding how to use Atom and markdown with Scribus. I plan to add a repository although so far Atom package Project Manager is good for different projects.

All of this this assumes that you are willing to experiment with a toolchain.

Alternatively you can do everything in Scribus if you choose to explore the options.
You might also look at ScribusGenerator.py script in Scripter to modify warning sign templates. Instead of the business cards example build some "warning sign templates". You can then have a csv file defining all your warning variables, even in different styles.  In fact this might be the first option to try.

Johny_Rocket

Dragon,

Thanks! Using a tool-chain sounds like an efficient way to perform the functions. I will have to download and examine ATOM to see if it really would be beneficial for me to employ.

I really appreciate your input on this thread.

Jonathan

dragonfly

Also do explore ScribusGenerator.py as I suggest. You will have to search for the download link and place the script in Scribus scripts folder. In future posts confirm which OS you are using since the paths differ. In my Ubuntu the path to Scribus is /usr/share/scribus-trunk/..

Johny_Rocket